Dem Debate--Shuddup About Bush! What Would YOU Do?

:smack:

Hypothetical exchange in the nine-person debate hosted by the Orpheum Theater in Phoenix and carried by CNN (moderator was Judy Woodruff, questions from her, Jeff Greenfield, and Candy Crowley):

Q: What would you, Candidate X, do about the giant meteor that has just passed the orbit of Saturn and is headed right for us?

A: Well, JudyJeffCandy, what I would NOT do is give contracts to Halliburton and Big Oil to deflect the meteor. You know, George Bush wouldn’t do anything about the meteor unless he thought he saw weapons of mass destruction on it. But there’s no weapons on the meteor, just like there were no weapons in Iraq, just like tax breaks for the rich wouldn’t stop the meteor from crashing into the homes of taxpayers. In the America of George Bush, only the rich will have access to the giant meteor-proof Hangers of Refuge. Not in my America. In my America everybody would have the right to–(Judy mutters: “Five seconds left”)–go to government-provided shelters. The message of the Democratic party is that we care–(Judy: “OK, let’s hear from–”)–about the working people of this country, and we don’t think tax cuts and specially reinforced concrete hangers for the–(Judy clears her throat with increasing volume)–richest Americans are the way to deal with the issues that–What? Yes, I may have voted for the program but I have an explan–

Jeff, finally breaking in: Candidate Y, your position on the meteor?
A: Well, unlike my Washington-based colleague here I do NOT have a place reserved for me in the Hangers of Refuge–(Candidate X waves hand frantically at Judy, is ignored)–just like anybody who is not among the wealthiest one percent of Americans and a friend of George Bush. You know, the working people of this country are tired of being overlooked and having their dreams of living their lives free of death–(Judy, futilely, “Let’s move on to the…”) by giant meteors thwarted by the blinkered–

Candy: OK, Candidate Y, we’ve established that you don’t like George Bush’s position on the meteor, but what would YOU YOURSELF do about them?
A: Everybody in the country has the right to be safe from this meteor. No, wait, everybody in the world, a world increasingly alienated from America by the actions of this administration. I would go to the UN and ask for help, not like this President who ignored–(Candy shakes her head, tries to speak)–the will of the world and launched an illegal, futile, war in Iraq. I want to bring our soldiers home so they can fight the meteor…

etc.etc.etc. You get the idea.

It had all the usual annoying things about a debate–yahoos in the crowd wasting everybody’s time by cheering or booing for too long, candidates talking over each other, obnoxiousness taken for forcefulness, etc., but the questions were good and the format was decent. I especially loved how one man took off his suit jacket for audience question time and then ALL the men had to do it–guess they’ve seen the “descamisados” scene from EVITA. But my main rant is about the lack of new ideas I heard last night. Candy really did make the statement I recounted in her last question–we know you don’t like what Bush did here, but what would you do, buddy, and why?

To be fair, Gephardt did have actual new ones. Lieberman had a few positive things to say, and my man Kerry had The Line of the Night ("If you want to live like a Republican, vote Democrat’). But otherwise I think they wasted their and everybody else’s time. I know if I looked at their websites and records I could find the answers to my questions, but then again I already plan to vote for one of them. It’s the undecided, indifferent people who are watching who they needed to convince. And pretty much all that person would have learned is that they’re running against this dude Bush to whom they have the sort of relationship that Ahab had with Moby Dick. And we know what happened to Ahab.

:smack:

Hey, the ‘Arizona Daily Star’ put up a transcript!

You’ll see what I meant in Judy’s first follow-up question :slight_smile:

Well, while i agree with the point you are making, the results of too many elections–such as the recent one in California–demonstrate that having no policies of your own can actually help you win.

If you spend enough time convincing the electorate about how awful the incumbent is, and about how all we really need is a change, then you have a reaonable chance of victory.

Honestly, I have about as much patience for political debates as I do for dieing screaming rabbits. I just wish I could solve both problems as I would solve the later.

When asked a question, they just go into spin mode, knowing that if they talk long enough about nothing, most Americans, with a 10 second attention span, will forget what the question was anyway, then simple bathe in the light of the politico’s ramblings.

I will base my votes on what they have on their web sites, or what is on issues2000.com. Listening to them is just a waste of time for me.

Honestly, I have about as much patience for political debates as I do for dieing screaming rabbits. I just wish I could solve both problems as I would solve the later.

When asked a question, they just go into spin mode, knowing that if they talk long enough about nothing, most Americans, with a 10 second attention span, will forget what the question was anyway, then simple bathe in the light of the politico’s ramblings.

I will base my votes on what they have on their web sites, or what is on issues2000.com. Listening to them is just a waste of time for me.

Eh. Political debates aren’t the only place this happens. All those Sunday morning “Meet the Press-type” shows are rife with this behavior. I used to watch a lot of those things until I realized I spent most of the moring yelling, “Answer the fucking question, goddamnit!” at the television set. Since I gave that up, my eggs no longer get cold and I don’t need antacids before noon. Life’s much better.

Especially since none of the “journalists” conducting the interviews have the guts or the integrity to push the politicians and insist that they answer the questions.

Tim Russert and his ilk ought to join a softball league, considering the lobs they throw out and their inability to ask tough follow-ups.

Correction; that was said by Congressman Gephardt:

It’s actually quite interesting to read the debate rather than having to try to listen to it through all the applause and talking over each other, though. Thanks for posting the transcript!

You nailed it. Sadly, people aren’t interested in hearing about the sometimes tough solutions to problems; they just want to hear sound-bites.

I had the same problem; obviously, sometimes I couldn’t even tell who was talking!

I got the feeling Kerry wanted to say more but limited himself to fit in with the crowd. And those of you who said that nobody can get mad at your positions if they don’t know what they are were right.

It’s still no way to run a horse race.

That’s certainly the intention. In the current political calculus, Bush is considered very vulnerable. It’s apparently been decided that it’s more profitable for the Dems to pound on the incumbent than each other. If they leave Bush alone, whoever gets nominated for the Dems will potentially be facing a stronger opponent. Furthermore, if they all attack one another, they run the risk of something sticking, making them damaged goods down the line. And finally, they’re all taking a lesson from Dean, who was the first to make clear he’s running against the incumbent Bush instead of the other Dem hopefuls. It worked out really well for him, giving him a lot of early traction and a good lead out of the gate, so now they’re all copying him. Of course, when everybody’s doing the same thing, it doesn’t work as well any more. It’s going to be a nebulous mass for a time until somebody does something different that sets him (or her, yah right) apart from the pack and gives him a boost, at which point the rest of them will copy that.

Gotta love modern image-based politicking. :rolleyes: