Democratic Super Tuesday discussion thread

Then you need better messaging. I don’t want to get into the weeds in a thread that’s not about that subject, but the anti-government message works because Democrats are reluctant to punish failure in any meaningful way. When your answer to every problem is “more funding, more government employees on the problem”, it’s understandable that people might be skeptical.

That’s probably how fantasy Democrats behave, but not real world Democrats.

I hate the fantasy Democrats too, and wish you well in your lifelong quest to defeat them.

Did the Pubs hold W responsible in 2004? It’s a deep-rooted tradition in both parties that a sitting POTUS seeking re-election will never be challenged from within his own party except in times of extreme political crisis (as in 1976 for the Pubs, 1980 for the Dems – and not once since then).

You’re right, but Republicans already believe government functions like crap. Democrats do not, and when it does, their votes aren’t a message to change it(unless the offender is a Republican).

So when one party says “Government sucks” and the other party says, “Government sucks when Republicans control it and it’s not our fault when we control it”. the clear message voters get is “government sucks.”

Republicans (and Libertarians too) tend not to think of money as something printed by government—used as a token in the overall social contract that involves and requires government, hence a part of government. Not sure where they think it comes from… maybe they think it grows in fields between cabbages and string beans or something.

They’re also a little fuzzy about law enforcement and military. I hardly ever run into Republicans who are opposed to law enforcement. Maybe they don’t mean local government when they say “government” and having a sheriff and some officers and a jail would be OK with them. That doesn’t address the military issue though. I hardly ever run into Republicans who want to eliminate the military and that’s not merely government but federal government at that.

You are right that the Republican message is simpler, and therefore easier to sell to simpleminded people. That doesn’t mean it is correct.

And when one party says “Government is pretty good when we control it”, what message does that send?

Sanders seems to be doing even worse among black voters than he did in states like Nevada.

Black voters make up something like 1/4? of democratic primary voters.

It’s simplistic, but it is basically correct. Our government is set up precisely to avoid political accountability, with protections for workers whose only problem is sucking at their jobs. Democrats often like to tout how great Social Security works, but SS is actually one fo the smaller agencies and runs almost on autopilot. Plus if the government can’t collect money and then send it back out, what good are they? It’s the most basic task imaginable for a government.

It’s sad we aren’t talking about Martin O’Malley today, because that was his thing as governor of Maryland, tracking the performance of government agencies and making it available to the public on the internet. THAT’s how you do accountability.

How’s he doing among Latinos? There was some disagreement over the Nevada exit poll results.

So basically, Democrats don’t deal with Democratic presidents who fail, while Republicans actively encourage failure in their guys, and are thus less hypocritical?

Tweet!

This is the Super Tuesday election thread. Take the rest of that stuff elsewhere.

It’s not really about hypocrisy so much as you can’t convince voters that government is good if it never actually performs well and if there doesn’t seem to be a way to deal with that at the ballot box. Sorry, posted that at the same time as your warning.

We’ll see in Texas tonight. Looking forward to exit polls and final margin. Too few reporting yet to take it seriously but with about 60K votes reported in Travis (Austin’s county) Clinton is leading even there, albeit only 52 to 48. If he cannot romp over Travis it is pretty sad for him.

Hillary’s voice, both tonight and last Saturday, has really sounded hoarse. If she wins the Presidency, I suspect she’ll be writing her orders for a while Bill brings her cups of herbal tea.

Happened to Bill too. Giving lots of speeches is hard.

Happened to Bill back in '92, if you recall. Totally wrecked his speechifying voice for a while, there.

I’m really enjoying Hillary’s victory speech.

I don’t think this is a winning strategy for Mrs. Clinton:[

](http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_2016_ELECTION_RDP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-03-01-21-01-53)
But congratulations to her on her victories today.

Where are the other 8% of the votes going in Oklahoma? Write-ins for Trump?