Democratic Super Tuesday discussion thread

It’s a great strategy if she wants me to vote for her. She knows that a lot of reasonable conservatives won’t vote for Trump. Her statement was a direct appeal to Kasich fans especially.

Looking grim for Sander’s delegate math, this does live projections of expected finish margin based on how many results are in now.

Margins:

VT - Sanders +73.9
AL - Clinton + 61.9
GA - C + 47.6
TX - C + 35.2
TN - C + 34.2
AR - C + 32.5
VA - C + 29.9
OK - S + 11
MA - C + 2.4

Those are enormous margins for Hillary in a lot of states with a lot of delegates. Take Virginia alone, right now she’s projected at a 35 delegate margin there, that’s more than the total delegates Bernie will win in Vermont, and is probably close to his margin gain total from OK and VT. He probably gains another 15 margin delegates from Minnesota, so he’s +50 over the night. Hillary erases that with 1.5 of her states on average, and then all the other states are just more and more gravy. She’s likely to hi 200 margin overall and it’s been widely analyzed that a 100 pledged delegate margin is likely not survivable for the Sanders campaign. The problem is even in states where Sanders might win here on out, he’s not going to win with the tremendous margins Hillary has won throughout the South–and he cannot undo such huge losses with a lot of small wins.

OK to Sanders apparently. Congrats!

Colorado is another one where he has a shot, Minnesota too. the night’s not over yet, but even if things don’t go well Sanders is banking on better results in the coming weeks as he hits more favorable terrain.

6% or so for Ben Carson, and 2% or so for John Kasich

He means on the Democratic side. The numbers for Sanders plus Clinton don’t come close to 100%.

With 58% in, it’s Sanders 52, Clinton 40.4.

Here ya go guys: Martin O’Malley is getting 2.5%, some unknowns the rest:

https://www.ok.gov/elections/support/ok_results_seb.html

Apparently, Keith Judd, the guy with the most votes of those I haven’t heard of, always runs for President.

According to Texas exit polling she took the Hispanic vote 65 to 34, a 31 point margin.

And took Whites 52 to 46. And all ideology groups including very liberal.

Huffington Post is reporting current delegate count as:
Clinton: 862
Sanders: 209

Presumably that’s with today’s projected results counted. Hard to imagine anybody coming back from that sort of disadvantage.

What’s the pledged total?. Remove the superdelegates, those can and do change.

Huh, I thought just the opposite, that it was exactly the correct strategy. Bordering on being a no-brainer, really. What do you dislike about it?

Take a look yourself - the data’s right there to see.
I’m not going to dive into exactly what is and isn’t included in that count -
But seems suffice to say that Clinton is in a commanding position, and there doesn’t appear to be any viable road to a Sanders win.

There only seems to be two things up for discussion right now
a) When will Sanders call it a day?
b) Is a “soft” primary process good or bad for Clinton?

It also seems that Clinton is already targeting her GOP General opponent, Trump in particular

Well, we could also argue about whether Sanders giving up now (or soon) would define a soft primary process. Certainly it doesn’t compare to 2008, but 2008 was not comparable to anything since 1976. I think Sanders and his supporters have made an honest effort, and have had an affect.

Agreed.

No doubt but that he has had an effect -

I have never really followed before - but this process for Democrats hasn’t looked at all contentious - more of a “friendly rivals” than all out bloody war we see on the R side.

Good or bad - doesn’t really matter I guess except in a “fun to discuss way”.

IMHO - I think it’s not a bad thing for Clinton to be turning her focus towards positioning for the general and targeting the Rs she will be against.

Clinton leads 421-208.

Trump will pull no punches, and Clinton is already not well-liked. She will seem weak; he will seem strong.

As I’ve said here, this election is going to be a big “fuck you” to politics, to politicians and to government.

By taking the high road, Clinton will lose ground every day a little bit, just like the GOP candidates who tried to ignore Trump lost ground. And if she tries to fight back, she will likely be painted as desperate and a shrew/harpy/bitch and thus will lose ground.

This election is Trump’s to lose, but there is nothing that will turn people away from him that aren’t already turned away. And there is much that will draw people to him, including the bandwagon effect: people like to back a winner, and Trump projects “winner” like it’s his hairpiece. Hell, he can’t stop talking about what a winner he is.

What is the probability now of a Trump-Clinton election? I’m guessing at least 75%.