Deported from US , who pays for the plane/bus/train/etc. ticket?

I think the Gov. buys the ticket but maybe not. We have a Canadian who got out of jail after 12 years for killing his wife and is being deported back to Canada. I would guess he has no money but maybe a friend or relative can buy the ticket. If he was also a US citizen does that make a difference on being deported? Part of his plea deal was he had to give up custody of 2 young kids. The kids ended up with their aunt who is the twin of their biological mother.

His wife went missing and I saw people searching for her in a nearby park. They found her body few days later a few miles away.

Yes. US citizens cannot be deported.

The US provides transportation for deported people to their native countries.

Between being detained by some immigration authority and deportation, there is sometimes an option for “voluntary departure”, in which the person is given a deadline to leave and pays their own way.

Maybe a highjack but I asked this many years ago and I don’t think I ever got an answer. Is there any international legal obligation to return a person to their nation of citizenship? Let’s say the US and Chad make a treaty that we ship all illegal immigrants to Chad and they will accept them. Anything legally wrong with that?

don’t think it is still happening but some big cities would buy a bus ticket for homeless people to get them out of town. I think they could choose where to go. When this became public there were a lot of complaints about it .

While a different scenario from the OP, if someone get off a plane at JFK airport, gets to the immigration checkpoint, and gets told “your visa has been revoked”, or shows up without a valid visa in the first place, or for whatever other reason isn’t admitted, then I’m pretty sure it’s the responsibility of the airline they flew here on to return them to their home country. That’s why most airlines will verify you have a passport and a visa for your destination country before they’ll let you check in for an international flight. I suppose not being admitted to the country in the first place isn’t technically the same as being deported, but it’s a related scenario.

There was a minor uproar in the media a few years ago about people being deported from Canada to Somalia (after being convicted of crimes in Canada, not yet naturalized). Normally, the paperwork goes through the embassy if necessary to verify the person is a citizen, then they are deported to their country of citizenship. Somalia at the time did not have the necessary central government, and the Canadian immigration service was apparently flying people to Kenya and paying some private service to fly them to Mogadishu where they were dumped on the tarmac. (not literally, but basically “get off here…”)

It mentioned there were some people they could not deport because the governments were being uncooperative about verifying citizenship. But of course, these are usually third world countries where economic pressure can be brought and most have no reason to antagonize Canada (or the USA) over some nobody if they are obviously their citizen. I do recall some mention at the time that some country (Guatemala? Honduras?) had made an agreement with the USA to take people that the USA could not make arrangements to ship home (typically somewhere in central Asian or the Middle East).

I remember talking to a fellow - not as clever as he thought- who was on a group trip with a bunch of college friends, back before 9-11. They got to the Detroit border, and in those days even a driver’s license would work to cross. To avoid hassles, he decided to say he was Canadian, even though he’d been born in Germany and was about 2 when his parents moved to Canada - still not naturalized. The computer system was smart enough to catch this, and his next call was to his parents “Hey, mom and dad, guess where I am… Germany!” So even though he was a legal resident of Canada and it was less than half a mile that-a-way, they deported him to his country of citizenship. He didn’t mention any cost, but of course he (his parents) had to pay to get him back to Canada.

I remember reading a story of a man who was being deported from the US to Canada a few years ago where he was driven from his prison straight to the airport by police who waited until he physically got on the plane until they left

I don’t know about the US, but no one can be deported from the EU unless a country can be found to accept them and then not to a country where they may be threatened with a death sentence.

AFAIK the fare is paid by the country where they are caught.

Illegal immigrants to the UK normally destroy any evidence of their country of residence as this makes deportation much harder.

This week the Australian Government deported a terrorist who had Australian and Arabic citizenship. As they cannot deport a citizen, they revoked his Australian citizenship leaving him with just the Algerian one he had from birth. He did not want to leave Australia, wanted to stay in prison here rather than go back to Algeria.

This was also a stink in Canada. The previous government in response to ISIS had been contemplating a law to revoke Canadian citizenship from naturalized Canadians or dual-citizens who engaged in terrorism. The blowback was, this would create two classes of citizens - those who could lose their citizenship and those who could not. (with associated claims of racism, etc. etc.) For example, I was born in Canada but both my parents were British and immigrated here, so I have UK citizenship too. If the government chose for some reason to label me a terrorist (say, I donated some money to the wrong cause like some Palestinian charity, thus supporting terrorism) they could simply revoke my citizenship and send me to England never to return, although I was born here and lived here all my life. My wife who is not a dual citizen would be immune from such treatment.

the law never was passed.

I know of a case where that happened with someone being deported to China- problem was, the flight made an unscheduled stop in Chicago for some reason and allowed passengers to leave the plane. The deportee is presumably still in the US.