Der Krieger + die Kaiserin / The princess and the warrior

I rented this movie about two years ago, when I was starting to learn German. About an hour ago, I returned a DVD copy to the Hollywood video. The second rental was much more enjoyable. I didn’t need the subtitles except for when the dialog got complex. (just now I was thinking ‘hm… wie sagt man Untertitel…) Being able to understand the dialog, I got more enjoyment out of it. The characters’ spoken words are so expressive. Little things like ,Ich wollt’ dich wieder sehen.’’ and even ,Die ist tod!’’ And this time it was on DVD on a much bigger screen. I watched it three times in the last five days I had it. Excellent movie, probably now my favorite German film, even over Tykwer’s Lola Rennt.

This is really a love movie, a very different kind of love movie, which are usually at the bottom of my list. The floating-in-the-clouds feel of the movie is really what makes it great. That feel makes it seem like the movie has a slow pace, but it really doesn’t–a lot happens. And every little thing that happens, every shot and line of dialog, makes a difference. On each viewing, I would notice something new that adds to the experience. For example: most recently I noticed that after Bodo smashed the TV, and he was walking away with Sissi, she was holding onto his shoulder. It looked much like when she would lead the blind guy. (what’s his name?) I’m not sure if it has any significance.
The extras were excellent. I didn’t watch it with commentary, perhaps I should’ve. The deleted scenes were very nice, although I agreed that their removal was appropriate.
In one of the extras, Franka Potente said something about it being more of a women’s film. I don’t see why that would be. Women would identify with Sissi. (FP said that women would like Sissi for reasons they couldn’t express. I didn’t understand any of that.) I identified with Bodo. Bodo is repression, and at the same time, the outpouring of emotion. I identified with Bodo… I suppose for reasons I can’t completely express. :slight_smile:

This is a really great movie, and it’s really too bad if people miss out on it because it’s in German.

Have any of you out there seen it? What do you think? Tykwer’s best? (winterschläfer sucked, I haven’t seen heaven.)

I love this film, it would be in my all-time top-25 favorites list. I watched it with english subtitles since it’s been a really long time since my high school German classes. I think this is a much more impressive film than Lola Rennt, which I thought was way over-rated. The Princess and the Warrior is not an art-house flick, it’s a very accessible film that should appeal to anyone that’s willing to read subtitles. The user comments on IMDB are way off the mark.

I especially liked the music. The DVD commentary was good. I think that many French films go overboard on presenting quirky characters, whereas this film finds a better balance. And unlike many other German films, angst and spirituality don’t dominate the tone. The plot was often surprising, but still felt very realistic, even strangely inevitable at times.

I’ve also seen Tykwer’s Heaven (2002) and liked it, but I still like Princess the most.

(I agree with everything you said.)

I haven’t seen or even heard of princess. Is it old? List of Tykwer films I know:
[ul]
[li]Krieger + Kaiserin[/li][li]Tödliche Maria (haven’t seen)[/li][li]Winterschläfer[/li][li]Heaven[/li][li]Lola Rennt[/li]and now, Princess
[/ul]

I believe Princess is refering to the movie “The Princess and the Warrior” (it’s English title). For some reason they decided to switch the order of the two words. (Plus I think maybe the translations aren’t exact, though I don’t know German so I don’t know.)

I’m not really familiar with Twyker’s films, but I did enjoy Run Lola Run. Just curious, but how does Twker compare other German directors like Dorris Dorrie in terms of genre, visual style or using film as social commentary?

The reason I ask is b/c I got a chance to meet Dorrie during a week-long retrospective of her films at the Art Institute’s Film Center in Chicago a few years back. And while most of her films were forgettable, I really likedl Keiner Liebt Mich (Nobody Loves Me). I love the way German films typically can communicate on multiple levels, especially a movie like Keiner Liebt Mich which to American audiences, appears to be a quaint singles comedy about young people making it in the real world, but to more astute minds, is actually a biting satire of German middle-class values and social alientation .

re: Princess, that was shorthand for The Princess and the Warrior, aka Der Krieger + die Kaiserin. Sorry for the confusion and my laziness.

I’m surprised that this film wasn’t more popular in the USA, because it’s basically a romantic crime-thriller with really good character development. It’s not an art-house film, and it’s not a social commentary. But I guess most people assumed that since it came from Germany it would be something like Wim Wender’s Faraway, So Close!. But if you wait for Hollywood to produce films that handle characterization with delicacy and intelligence, it’s a long wait, maybe two films per year. And if this film had been made in Hollywood, Reese Witherspoon would have been the star, and they’d have turned it into a teen romantic comedy. And car chases, there would have been at least two car chases.

Tykwer’s Heaven, on the other hand, is much more about social themes, injustice and personal redemption. I still thought it had an entertaining and enjoyable plot, but it wasn’t quite as mainstream as The Princess and the Warrior.

I’m not familiar with Dorris Dorrie, but I was really impressed by Sandra Nettelbeck’s Bella Martha aka Mostly Martha (2001). I think this was a German production. I enjoyed Bella Martha and The Princess and the Warrior more than any of the French film I’ve seen in recent years. Hopefully we’ll see more of these two German directors.

I loved Princess and the Warrior. It’s just so emotionally satisfying on many levels. I’m no good at expressing how really good movies and books make me feel so I’ll have to leave it at that.

:smack: I feel stupid

I remember seeing a clip of Lola Rennt in a lecture about architecture in Berlin. That ten-second clip had me scrambling to find the film. It wasn’t long after that I watched Der Krieger + die Kaiserin, mostly because I was thorougly charmed by Franka Potente in Lola. I wasn’t disappointed. I know a little German, but for the most part my knowledge of it is too weak to watch these films w/o subtitles. Even so, I enjoyed them both much more so than a LOT of other movies I’ve seen. They are both in my DVD collection. The soundtracks of both movies are absolutely AMAZING!

I’ll also admit that I watched Anatomy (:eek: gasp!) just because Franka was in it.