Desert Boots and Pop Culture

I bought some desert boots here in Tokyo the other day. As I looked in the mirror wearing them, jeans, and a blue t-shirt with a pocket, I thought ‘oh my god, I’m dressed exactly as was in junior high school (almost 30 years ago)’.

Do you think our popular culture has had a rather extended life? Naturally there will be many icons from any given generation or era that will live forever, but after 30 years it seems there isn’t the gap the probably exists from, for example, the 30’s to the 60’s.

By the way, the desert boots were by Clark and they claimed the were the original. There was nothing original about the price. Ouch.

I’ve noticed this myself, over and over.

I was working on the manuscript of a novel the other day, and the author had described a hard-ass character as “wearing a Mohawk.” This is more or less that way a hard-ass character would have also been described ny a novelist in 1977.

From my unenlightened perspective these last few decades may appear similar. A younger person may find them as different as night and day.

I suppose WWII could be the great pop divide, and that the decades preceeding the war might be seen as somewhat similar as well. And before then what was it? The automobile?

In the 20’s or 30’s what kind of hair would the villian have?

Brillantined. Slick with grease, or Macassar Oil. And perhaps a pencil moustache. See Claudette Colbert’s fiance in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

This was the lounge lizard look. Of course, Gibson Gowland, who played the wife-murdering McTeague in von Stroheim’s GREED (1924), had hair like Harpo Marx.

Pooch, if no one else comes in here, I’m getting out the cribbage board. Nickel a point, whaddaya say?

I heard that the Farrah Fawcett hairstyle is coming back…

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto. - Anonymous