[QUOTE=Excalibre]
Seriously, do the experiment I recommended if you really doubt me. <snip> look at the runway photography. It’s artistic, it’s interesting, it’s really a fascinating thing to look at. But no one on a runway is supposed to be attractive or desireable, and I imagine that few of them are happy.
[/quote]
I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree. It’s probably the goth chick in me, but I find the artisitc, startling looking people much more attractive and interesting than the girl-next-door type. So, yes, some of us find that runway models and clothes desirable - but tastes can and do differ.
[QUOTE=Excalibre]
If you have no problem with fat women being exploited as tools of visual shock, then that’s cool. I suppose I don’t either, any more than I feel pity for the models who are so skinny they don’t menstruate being used as startling, disturbing images. Both are being used for a specific purpose, and both sign on voluntarily and get paid well.
[/quote]
Meh. If they sign on voluntarily and get paid well, it’s hard to argue exploitation. Mostly I think it’s funny. She (the model) knew full well that most of the audience wouldn’t like her - but they would have to applaud regardless. It appeals to my sense of the ridiculous.
[QUOTE=Excalibre]
But she doesn’t look good to the designers. She doesn’t look good to most people watching. And she’s not meant to.
[/quote]
Myself and other people in the thread have said she looks good. Not perfect, maybe, but appealing. What Jean Paul Gautier thinks, I don’t know, but my point was that it doesn’t matter what he thinks: he presenting her as desirable, and that’s where the shock lies.
[QUOTE=Excalibre]
The Fat Acceptance movement is both fighting a losing battle and ultimately doing fat women a serious disservice if the idea is to normalize being obese.<snip> For one thing, only a very small percentage of people are attracted to that sort of thing - and that’s not society, it’s how we’re wired.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I totally agree with the first part. Being fat is decidedly unhealthy and I would happily lose 100 pounds if I could do it with magic, since it would significantly increase my life expectancy. As for the latter part, I think you’re overgeneralizing. Humans, both males and female, are attracted to a wide variety of unhealthy people and behaviors. The norms of attraction are variable, and have changed over historical time. And I can personally attest to the fact that at ~300 pounds, I still get plenty of male (and female) attention. Admittedly, not as much as I got at ~200 pounds, but I don’t think attraction is as “wired” as you seem to think it is.
I don’t think being obese should be “normalized” - there are good and sufficient health reasons to fight it. But that’s a totally different issue from allowing fat people to be accepted as sexy. Think of it this way - encouraging people to stop smoking is good. Pointing out that they will smell better if they stop is good. But denying them any outlet of sexual expression because they’re repulsive smokers is not only ludicrous - there are a significant number of people who are attracted to smokers despite the helath risks - but also counterproductive if you want them to have the personal strength to quit. Why not encourage everyone to feel happy and sexy in their own bodies and work on health as a separate set of issues?
I also object to your strong statements that almost no-one finds unusual body types attractive. It amost seems like you are trying to declare that attraction to a broad range of body types is the pathological state. Do you really think this is true?
mischievous