Desperate Housewives

I was surprised that I liked it. I tuned in for a few minutes just to prove that I would hate it. Alas, I could not turn away. I had to watch and I will watch again next week.

I thought that too. I commented to my bf that no guy would pick that plastic surgery nightmare over Terri Hatcher. haha.

Now I’m curious. Can someone post a summary of what happened in the first episode?

Loved it, loved it. I work with enough Stepford wannabes to start mentally matching them up with these women. :stuck_out_tongue:

nyctea, this site gives you a pretty good run down. They’re re-running the first episode on Saturday, 10pm.

Some of my favorite moments:
Teri Hatcher’s accidentally setting her rival’s house on fire, then throwing wine on the drapes to put it out…
The mother of four out of control kids cold cocking her husband when he suggested they “risk it”…
Near the very beginning when the nosy neighbor oh so casually peeled off the “property of Mary Alice Young” label from the blender…

And I am dying to know what’s under the swimming pool.

I liked it. I was prepared to be iffy about it (I really tend to dislike Teri Hatcher…but I even liked watching her eye her daughter’s Trojan Horse). But it was funny, and smart, and had characters I liked watching. (It was weird watching the mix of SportsNight veterans and Melrose Place veterans. I couldn’t quite make sense of that).
I loved the fire, mowing the lawn in that dress, and Felicity Huffman going in the pool after her children at the funeral.

I do wonder if it will last after the “what’s under the pool” mystery is solved.

I heard the radio commercial for this show about 30 times and it drove me crazy every time. One of the female characters says: “…And I feel badly about that!”

Feel badly. Ugh. How did such a terribly wrong phrase make it into production? It just screams “we’re trying really hard to be smart!” :rolleyes:

Terribly wrong? Yes, it’s incorrect, but, if you happened to notice, people actually use the phrase “feel badly” instead of “feel bad.” If that’s what you’re going to judge a show, it makes judging a book by its cover seem like an intense, in-depth analysis.

Loved the lawn-mowing; but the kids in the pool rang absolutely not true with me. No 4-year-old acts that way; no 4yo is capable of scheming so deviously as to wear their swimsuits under their clothes. A bratty & willful 4yo would just whine & scream that they “wanna go swimming!!”, until you have to drag them home. I think it’s a case where the writers don’t know any actual children.

I never watched Melrose Place, so where have I seen Marcia Cross before? It was bugging me all night.

She was a dermatologist that Jerry dated briefly on “Seinfeld.” I think she also had a recurring part on “Everwood” last season.

I missed the premiere but will be watching for this week for one reason: the chance to see Felicity Huffman, whom I think is SMOKING hot. Im hoping she is a ‘Desperate Housewife’ who prances about in skimpy clothing, preferably in a promiscuous state of mind.

(…off to ‘contemplate’ my dream threesome (again) of myself, Felicity Huffman and Natalie Portman…)

Uh… maybe not a just-turned 4 year old, but i know some 'nearly fives you absolutely could. As a kindergarten teacher of 5 year olds I can say with absolute candor this rang absolutely TRUE to me for a couple of reasons – one – the boys were triplets. Occassionally you get some really devious hive minds working with twins and other multiple birth children. It is not pretty. Two: these are well-to-do kids: some parents teach them negotiation skills at such a young age I can absolutely see some devious minds at work. Three: they absolutely gloated about it while they were doing it. I’ve done similar at that age-- like the time I locked my uncle out his car when he visited his girlfriend, leaving me in the car and the keys in the ignition – and I had the foresight to take his second set of keys from out the back bumper before I did it, too. Then, I lay on the car horn…

… he sounded so damned convincing when he said he take me out for ice cream.

I don’t think the boys were triplets, but instead twins and another boy one year older. If you remember, she said something about already being pregnant three times.

And it’s one of those things that someone will say if they’re trying to be grammatically correct but they aren’t really sure if it should be bad or badly, which fit this character perfectly. I’m hoping the writers did that on purpose; it bodes well for the show.

I guess I’ll be the odd man out on this one. I was excited for it, but I turned it off halfway through and cancelled my TiVo season pass. Have fun, folks.

I’m pretty sure the twins are supposed to be older than the other little boy. They are nearly seven in real life (they also appeared together in Cheaper By The Dozen) and they’re taller than the other boy, so I don’t think they’re supposed to be three. Or four, since the flash back with the line “pregnant three times in four years” seemed to be when mom was pregnant with their sister. Anyway, I’m guessing they’re nearly five, and their younger brother four-ish.

I’ve been watching it pretty faithfully, and so far I’m enjoying it. I like the characters, and am finding the overall story arc interesting. It’s not the best freakin’ show ever – but I think it makes fine Sunday night viewing.

Is anyone else following it?

Yep, still watching. My husband likes it too. I like the light mystery feel, and just hope that we aren’t being fed a bunch of red herrings. A lot of it is predictable, but the characters are starting to emerge a bit more each week.

The husbands aren’t stupid and the kids are normal. Except for maybe Zack, not sure about Zack. I wonder if that was a little sister in the trunk.

Still watching. I’m dying to know who’s body is in the toy chest…

I’m liking it more and more every week. The fact that there’s another story in the background also has significant pull. We get little hints each week, but not much…

And what’s up with Mike, and who’s the guy he met with in the park?