Desperate Housewives

See, now, I’m thinking he’s a private detective. How many plumbers do YOU know that carry guns around and map out neighborhoods?

It appears that Mike and his boss don’t know who they’re looking for, doesn’t it? Just a vague mention of somebody who’s “bad”. Hmmmm. Bad is relative, might not even be a criminal they’re looking for.

I like that Susan immediately dumped the cute cop who lied to her about getting prints off the screwdriver. A really “desperate” woman would probably have given him a second chance, and I’m glad they didn’t make her all wishy washy and drag it out, say to make Mike jealous.

I also like how the writers quickly resolved the home schooling idea. A normal sitcom would have had a few episodes showing him covered with peanut butter or tied to a chair, then they’d give up. That was a good idea though, harnessing the twins’ energy. We have one very energetic and rambunctious grandson, and the last time he visited he dusted and washed windows. (It was his idea.) :slight_smile:

Normal people don’t always talk good.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked the show and I have been watching it since it started. I figured from the ads that it was just going to be another bad primetime soap with everyone bedhopping. But aside from the one cheating housewife it’s quite different,

I have never really liked Teri Hatcher because she always seemed too perfect but I really like her in this show. I thought I would really hate the Marcia Cross character but even she’s starting to grow on me, especially with the last couple episodes. Last night when she told Zack about her mom we actually got to see a little of what makes her tick.

In fact the only one (of the main characters) I don’t like is Gabrielle, the cheating housewife. Did I miss something or did she say that she loves her husband but she’s bored, so that’s why she fools around? If you’re bored you can get a hobby, a part time job, read, but I don’t buy someone having sex with an underaged boy because she’s bored.

Well (and this isn’t an excuse for her slutty behavior), she feels neglected. Her husband buys her anything she wants, but he gives her very little time or attention. In an earlier episode he took her to a party, but it was like he just wanted to show her off, impress people.

Anyone else think she wants to be caught, just to get his attention?

On the other hand, maybe she’s written just to raise the sex level, like we wouldn’t watch the show without risque behavior.

On yet a third hand…I couldn’t see being married to that asshole at all. He treats her like a possession, expects to be the center of her life, and calls in his mommy when he thinks she may be cheating on him. Not a whole lot of trust on either side of that marriage. However, I still like her character, and I try to remember: it’s just a show.

The dead neighbor did say something in the first ep about how he treated her much differently before they were married, but after they were married he began treating her as an asset. This is reinforced in the first ep when she talks about not wanting to go to the party because the one business associate always tries to grab her ass and he says something about how as long as he puts $100,000 a year in his pocket he can grab her ass if he wants to.

If she wanted to be caught, she could do a better job of it.

I enjoyed the back and forth between her and her MIL last night.

Maybe. But if I was going to sleep around, I wouldn’t do it in my own house. I wouldn’t visit my boyfriend when he’s with his friends, any one of whom might know me or my husband, I wouldn’t meet my boyfriend in the garden house when my MIL was nearby, and I wouldn’t kiss him outside a shopping mall.

She could be a lot more careful.

Well, yes. But there wouldn’t be as many chances for plot development or for putting the audience on the edges of their seats. For all that it’s “close to reality,” it’s still a soap opera. A fun, deliciously evil over the top one.

Maureen, definitely. The sock under the bed, for instance. The woman can think on her feet, that’s for sure. :slight_smile:

I thought getting her MIL busted for shoplifting was pretty clever.

Yeah, but you just know she’s gonna pay for it when Carlos finds out. As the ex of an hispanic man I can say this: You don’t mess with their mamas.