Desperately seeking non-finalized DVD solution

I copied 3 home movie VHS tapes to DVD using a Samsung v-3500. They were always viewable on that machine, but the machine broke and is no longer OEM-supported. Unfortunately, apparently all of this time the machine never finalized these disks, and so they are unreadable on any other machine. This is footage from the 1940s-1950s and all of my kids’ youth. YIKES!!

I have sent the disks to a media conversion shop- no luck. I bought a used v-3500 off of eBay to see if that would work - no luck. After 90+ minutes with Samsung [they seem to be rather useless at the moment, but maybe they will come through] I am throwing this out to the general community… I need a real expert in what happens/gets added during finalization to tell me where to go to get the finalizing “instructions” to be added to my disks or somebody that’s genius enough to be able to extract the data from my current disks into a format that readable. PLEASE if anyone knows the answer direct me… my current hypothesis is that a script is inserted to make the file readable in DVD format. There’s GOT to be someone that knows what that script is and how to get it added.

have you tried just playing the dvd on the used machine? if it plays then send signal through cable to another machine to record on new media.

Can you stick it into DVD-burning software on a computer and finalize it there? Better yet, can you copy it and then experiment on/finalize the copy?

First, thanks for replying. I did try playing them on the used machine - did not work. I also have tried opening one of them on my Mac (OS X Snow Leopard) via VLC and got this error message back:

dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav
main warning: no access_demux module matching “dvdnav” could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 109.604 ms - Total 109.604 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 109.604 ms)
main debug: creating access ‘dvdnav’ path=’/dev/rdisk2’
main debug: looking for access module: 0 candidates
main error: no access module matched “dvdnav”
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.146 ms - Total 0.146 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.146 ms)
main error: open of dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2' failed: no access module matched "dvdnav"dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav main warning: no access_demux module matching "dvdnav" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 109.604 ms - Total 109.604 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 109.604 ms) main debug: creating access 'dvdnav' path='/dev/rdisk2' main debug: looking for access module: 0 candidates main error: no access module matched "dvdnav" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.146 ms - Total 0.146 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.146 ms) main error: open of dvdnav:///dev/rdisk2’ failed: no access module matched “dvdnav”

So I guess the issue is that when these disks did not finalize they did not add the dvdnav script??

Can you copy the disc into a file on your computer?

Finalizing isn’t just adding a script, it’s writing the table of contents so that drives other than the one that recorded it know how to read it. You basically have a hard drive without a FAT or MFT.

You can use a program like IsoBuster or CDRoller to try to recover the files.

I suggest you start here and read about recovery software dedicated to cd/dvd media.

You might try other brands of Samsung burners. They may have the same internal programming. I have a VR300 if you’re anywhere near Dayton OH.