Detroit area dopers, what did you make of the Chrysler Superbowl advert?

It’shere if you didn’t see it. I have to say I think it’s one of the best ads I’ve ever seen in my life but hey I’m neither from Detroit nor even American so what do you Detroitians(?) and other Americans think?

At first, the cynical side of me said “they’re [the ad agency] just pandering to us… a bit insulting.” Then I found out plenty of Detroit talent worked on that commercial, I embraced my inner softy, and now I love it.

The message in the commercial is right-on, I think.

It did its job, in that it sent the message that Chrysler is alive and well. I think a lot of people forgot they even existed after 11 years of malicious mis-management.

I don’t live there anymore, but I did for 5 years, so I am gonna answer: I loved it. I think it was genius. It plays into Detroit’s unique identity, which isn’t all pretty, but grittiness has its appeal.

It’s too bad that they had to use the 200 for the spot. I mean, the 200 is so much better than the S-----g that it’s not funny, but it’s still not quite there for where they want to take the brand.

It’s all everyone was talking about the next day at work. I work for Ford, and no one cared that Chrysler ‘scooped’ us or anything, it was more like an ad for Detroit, paid for by Chrysler. Most people loved it, loved the message and the audacity of a Superbowl ad that long, loved seeing the Motor City in a positive light, everything.

I like the bit about imported from Detroit, as if folks need reminding that the domestics can produce a decent luxury vehicle. Kind of funny, considering not too far back we dominated the market with luxury SUVs, so you wouldn’t think it too far a leap to say we can produce a good luxury car, but maybe it is a big leap.

I saw a bit of grumbling in the blogosphere about “Our tax dollars paying for criminal rapstar Superbowl ads!” but AFAIK, both GM and Chrysler paid back their bailout money already.

I moved out of the Detroit area a few years ago but I lived there most of my life so I still think of it as “home”. I thought it was a great ad, and the people I still know in Detroit also seemed to be pleased with it (it may be significant that most of the people I know from there are young enough to not be offended by Eminem).
It was refreshing to see a positive message about the city. I think one of the biggest steps to recovery for Detroit is bringing back people’s sense of pride in the city and its people. Even in a poor area, if people have some pride and self-respect, they’ll take care of their neighborhood.

I’ve never lived in Detroit but I’ve volunteered there and grew up in the general area.

I guess my response was mostly cynical. On one hand, thought it was vaguely exploitative and a little misleading about the notion that Michigan can continue to rely on the auto industry to support its economy. I believe that ship has sailed. It seemed to be hinting at some kind of loyalty to Detroit workers but it was an advertisement to sell a luxury car.

On the other hand, it was nice seeing Detroit portrayed in a positive light, and some of the comments here are tempering my cynicism a bit.

I just don’t for a second think there was any motive other than selling cars. If the cars sell and it does help out Michigan’s economy and helps to rebuild Detroit, I won’t complain.

The “blogosphere” is full of loudmouth malcontents that couldn’t hack it as real writers. Fuck them. There’s also a shortened version of this commercial that I like.

Of course its motive was to sell cars. It’s a television commercial. So?

So I don’t find television commercials particularly inspiring, in general.

I said it was an ad in the OP. Your comments would make way more sense if the clip didn’t purport to be an advert, masqueraded as a short film or whatnot.

Nowhere in there does it hint that we have to “rely” on the industry. if anything, the notion that automotive will never be what it once was is painfully clear to all involved. The message (along with the Jeep tagline) is that we can’t afford to just toss away a major industry.

and by selling those cars, they’ll keep workers in Detroit employed.

everybody thinks they’re immune to advertising.

Very well made commercial, technically. I’m from SE Michigan*, and so I always get a kick out of seeing Detroit on film or video (e.g., “Renaissance Man” which also included a trip to beautiful Stratford). On the other hand, it’s for a Sebring with a new top-hat being marketed as a luxury vehicle, so I’m a bit dubious.

*I’m from Southeast Michigan. In the old days, we used to say “I’m from Detroit” or “I’m from the Detroit area,” but no more.

This thread alone brings me further along in my respect for the ad; Mainly that a non-Detroiter, let alone non-American, found it heartening and perhaps related.

I think most of us who are from here, moved here, or have lived their entire lives here have a sense of pride about our associations/contribution to this city, a metropolis who’s name should be uttered in the same regard as New York or Chicago or Paris or London, etc.

You’ve never like any advertisement because the goal is to move product?

“It’s the hottest fires that make the hardest steel…”
Loved it.
mmm

unfortunately, they aren’t aware that the noted metallurgist and civil engineer Rosie O’Donnell insists that fire can’t melt steel.

Except the orchestra is on strike, Red Dawn was re-made there, and Detroit proper really sucks. I understand your sentiment – SE Michigan really, really is great. But Chicago really, really is great; no one cares about its suburbs. The only people who’ve ever hear about Carol Stream mail their GMAC payments there. Detroit is nothing; the suburbs are the prosperity.

And all of the steel comes from Canada or China (and a little bit from Pennsylvania).

Really, I’m not trying to be negative. Detroit used to be this great bastion of Michigan’s economy. The most important thing about Detroit (proper) today is that it has the bridge to Canada, WJR, and the water.

yeah, the first time I had to go to Chicago Assembly Plant I took a wrong turn and ended up in the projects. tell me another one.