Detroit area dopers, what did you make of the Chrysler Superbowl advert?

But this is the kind of myth-making that will bring Detroit back. The idea of Detroit must first be reborn in the hearts and minds of its people. Only then will it be reborn on the ground. I say that this commercial is as good as the “I am. Canadian.” commercial, or the Apple “1984” commercial. All three were more than just messages to sell product.

Hahaha! Chicago proper is great, but as you know, Chicago Assembly Plant (and Chicago Heights Stamping Plant) are in the projects. I work for Ford in a position that has me going to these plants, and even if you don’t take a wrong turn, you’re in the projects. On the other hand, if you need liquor now, you have a thousand choices.

I thought of that Molson, I am Canadian ad when I posted the OP, some ads transcend just crude commerce.

TBH one of the things that really struck a chord with me is that with very little tweaking it could be about Cleveland, where my partner is from. We were watching Irish telly one time when she was over and the show said Cleveland was “like a sad blues song”. There is something I really, really love about Cleveland, for all its evident problems. Of course it was never synonymous with auto manufactory the way Detroit is but their fates have been somewhat parallel.

Yeah, I also liked the ad and the portrayal of the city as well. Detroit gets, and in some cases, deserves to catch a lot of shit, but it’s still a pretty important part of our national culture, and, I suspect, when you talk to folks about cities in America and ones they know about, they know New York City, Los Angeles, Detroit, New Orleans, and probably Chicago.