Dexter coming back in 2021

The Leftovers ending was great, unless you don’t consider that enough of a big name show.

As far as Dexter goes, it’s pretty hard to surpass Season 4, with John Lithgow as the Trinity killer. “Hello, Dexter Morgan.” Creepy AF.

With a lot of series which failed in retrospect, there was some damn fine seasons of it, and it just should have ended there. There would have been a different view of Dexter if it had finished after Season 4. While 5 and 6 were decent enough, they weren’t as good.

If Lost had finished after Season 3, or used 4 to bring a decent sensible conclusion that would be regarded very well.

If GOT had finished after Season 5, and just left it there, on the off chance that GRRM wrote the rest of the books. Though the next bit would have to be with new actors. That would have been good.

Oh, and Walking Dead, after Season 1.

ISTM that the new series Next is a continuation of Person of Interest.

Not saying it necessarily is, just feels like it.

I was hoping Westworld would be the continuation of PoI - seeing as it’s made by the same people - but it isn’t nearly as intelligent, coherent and focused. I’ll check Next out.

I thought the Sopranos ending was perfect.

I liked Leftovers quite a bit. The ending was good.

That’s a strange way to spell Newhart.

MASH final was about 90 minutes too long. I can see an hour but not 2.5 hours

If we’re just listing finales that were well regarded now, I’ll add The Americans. While it never had as big of a following as Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, critics and fans generally seem to like how it ended, with some holding it up as one of the best endings ever.

The show is returning Sunday, November 7 on Showtime at 9pm. It’s called Dexter: New Blood and is I believe a ten-episode limited series. If you’ve read any of the articles or seen any of the media coverage of the new show, you’ll know some details but I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone who wants to watch it without knowing anything in advance.

Looks like Harrison’s grown up a lot!

Apparently the original showrunner Clyde Phillips is in charge, he ran the show when it was good. A lot point at the finale being bad, but the last few seasons after Clyde Philips left were phoning it in and becoming incredibly stupid. Might be a breath of fresh air to have that one back.

I’m not generally in the know on the behind the scenes issues with a show, so I did not know the reason, but yeah, the last couple few seasons were pretty rough, the last being outright painful to watch. Pretty much everything after the Trinity arc was downhill, IMHO.

Hopefully with the original showrunner back in charge, this will be up to the quality of the first few seasons.

The Trinity season was awesome. Hard to top.

I think when it came to what changed over those seasons, it was the grip on reality. It always was a silly show barely in reality, but walked a fine line in the first four seasons.(of which the trinity killer was one, and I remember enjoying that one). After that it got silly, killing of LaGuerta for instance. I was hate watching it near the end.

Like more than the time gap would account for?

In terms of Dexter, I agree. In terms of TV, in general, Justified’s season 3 and good segments of Deadwood are pretty even.

In terms of TV in general, nothing tops the Leftovers for me (Justin Theroux, Carrie Coon, written by Damon Lindelof and Tom Parotta, 2014-2017).

I’m going to give it a try but I really didn’t like the series that much after they killed off Doakes. The only thing kept me watching was Deborah, who I didn’t like at first but grew on me over time. It looks like they may use her in flashbacks but two of the main reasons I liked the show and how those characters played off opposite of Dexter are dead.