Dexter coming back in 2021

LOL Exactement, as the French would say!

From what I’ve heard, the new season is set ten years later, even though it’s only been eight years. I have no idea how old Harrison is portrayed as or how old he was in the last season.

Nah, inventive setups and good writing as may be, I can’t support a creator who would try to bluff past having something like a whole story worked out, actively digging himself into a deeper hole while releasing more content.

One thing occurs to me. Dexter is certain to have been fingerprinted on his old Miami PD job. So if he gets printed here, the balloon goes up pretty quickly.

He’s selling firearms where he’s now living; doesn’t doing so require a background check including fingerprinting? So I assume he’s worked around the requirement.

Did anyone else get a Twin Peaks/David Lynch feel from it?

Would a fingerprint for a forensic tech be in the same sort of database?

I would think that the only reason for him to be fingerprinted would be to rule him out if they find his on evidence, as it would be assumed to be contamination.

Of course his fingerprints would be in a database. I assume that when he was first hired by the police force in Miami, he was finger printed as part of the background check.

Was that ever addressed in the original series? I don’t recall (but could obviously be wrong) him every being concerned about leaving any fingerprints since his would already be in the system. I feel like that’s something that would have been mentioned, even if it was a throwaway line, just so there’s a canon based reason why he does or doesn’t have to be worried about that.

Looking around, it doesn’t appear this was ever directly addressed other than him cleaning his fingerprints off the slides. Beyond that it seems like every discussion around fingerprints turns into a big argument.

As I remember, he was shown to be careful when committing his crimes, so I assumed he was wearing gloves. Plus, to be honest, he was ridiculously lucky he was never caught.

Even if his fingerprints weren’t in the database, I assume he would still want to be careful not to leave them behind. But a quick ‘good thing I removed/changed my fingerprints from/in the database years ago’ would have cleared that up. OTOH, they may have left that open in case they wanted fingerprints to be his downfall.

They did something similar with the knock out drug he used. One episode explained how he ordered it with a fake name to avoid it being traced back to him. A detail that could have been left out as I don’t think anyone had really questioned it, yet they put it in, so far as I know, to close a potential plot hole or at least a place where the audience would be speculating about something that doesn’t need speculating about.

A database, sure.

But that doesn’t mean that they would be in a database that would be crosschecked by whatever background check that he would be subject to.

It’s not like there is just one giant database that contains all the fingerprints ever. They would have to choose which ones to check against, and would most likely just check against known criminals. Checking against a different state’s database of law enforcement auxiliaries would probably not be a high priority.

And that’s assuming he didn’t alter or delete them in some way.

I’m enjoying the new season so far. His method of hiding the body was pretty creative since he doesn’t have the ocean in Miami at his disposal anymore.

Ok, three eps in and here’s my theory. They want us to think that the serial killer is the a-hole dad of Dexter’s kill. But I think it’s the a-hole billionaire. Either way, Dex will skate by pinning the kid’s murder on the serial killer.

Watched the first 3 episodes tonight. Seems like I’m still kinda hate-watching it like I did before.

Nice to see that they didn’t stray from the “phone always rings at the worst time” theme of this show. They had it happen in the first few minutes (when they were having sex in the car.) And the secondary theme “Dexter’s family always fucks up his situation”. Welcome Harrison.

I’ll keep watching and grumbling. At least there’s a mystery.

I’m liking it so far, though I miss some of the old characters. I also miss the old intro song with the mosquito and the morning rituals. Glad the interior monologue is back, but I don’t think Deb replaces Harry well. I do like Deb for Deb though. Looking forward to seeing Trinity again next week.

I’m enjoying it so far. Anyone else think that Harrison is starting to look like he may take after his dad?

Aren’t those the same person? Dexter killed Matt Caldwell, whose father is the local billionaire Kurt Caldwell, played by Clancy Brown. And the guy in the ski mask and parka certainly appeared physically to match Kurt Caldwell.

I was confused about that at first, too, but they aren’t. There are two rich asshole white dudes. Edward Olsen is the oil-money billionaire that various townspeople are protesting about. He lends his helicopter to the search for the Caldwell boy, so supposedly he’s not all bad. Kurt Caldwell is, as you noted, played by Clancy Brown. Apparently he’s also rather rich (owner of a truck service), but probably not billionaire status, and really loves his spoiled brat of a son.

Thanks. I’ll have to watch again more carefully.