Diablo 3 question thread

Boy, one thing I love about Diablo III is you can always modify your strategy!

This is required reading on the subject.

You will absolutely need armor+resists -and- vitality instead of just one or the other. By act 2 inferno they clearly expect you to be rolling with the multiplicative result that you get from stacking damage reduction with HP. Just one or the other by itself is not enough to stop you from getting mulched.

Damage is nice, but unless you’re so far ahead of the curve that you’re evaporating everything before it can touch you, it’s not really that important.

OK, I have another question. The crafting material Fiery Brimstone is listed as coming from salvaging legendary items. I get that salvaging a legendary is guaranteed to give you a Fiery Brimstone, but do you also have a chance of getting one from a non-legendary Inferno-tier item, like how blue items have a chance to give the rare material?

Yes, you can get Fiery Brimstone from salvaging Rares.

This morning, Diablo III answered a question for me.

Why does Freddie say “fried chicken” at the end of “One Vision”? Because it’s the perfect soundtrack to a bossfight in a party that includes a Witch Doctor whose pet keeps turning the boss into a chicken… (whasisname, Tyrael’s former lieutenant)

You can get Fiery Brimstone from mulching Inferno blues, too. I’ve gotten two that way so far.

Question: Is it possible to map two skills from the same “family”? Like for a Demon Hunter - can I have both Caltrops and Shadow Power active? The skill calculator suggests that I can - but I don’t see how to do it in-game.

In one of the Settings menus, you have to turn on Advanced Skill Usage or something to that effect. It gives you a ton more freedom for skill setup, and probably should have been the default, except that they didn’t want to make things too “confusing”.

Excellent - that will really help. Thanks.

It’s called Elective Mode. You can’t miss it.

To further add: Once you’ve turned on Elective Mode, in the skill selection screen, there will be little arrows to the left and right of the skill icons you’re choosing from, to change which set of skills you’re looking at. Apologies if this sounds obvious, but it took me a little while to figure it out.

One of these times, I’d like to try a playthrough of a character where I don’t use elective mode, and always use the skill and rune in each category which most recently became available, just to see all the possibilities.

Does anyone know what happened with the Diablo Starter Edition?

I’ve heard conflicting reports on Diablo so i want to try a demo before i play it.

I heard it was supposed to be released 30 days after the game but there doesn’t seem to be any sign of it.

Where do crafting recipes come from? Do they drop, because I have never seen one. The only ones I have seen are the ones available in the AH for a butt load of money.

I’ve found three of them on inferno difficulty (one jewelcrafting, two blacksmithing), and I hear the lower level recipes drop in lower difficulties. The drop rate, however, is abysmally low.

I think that the only recipes you can find pre-Inferno are the ones for the Staff of Herding.

Here’s the information I found. They’re having server overload troubles and are working on that, postponing the demo. However the link does say that you can still get a guest pass from someone who bought a retail copy.

It also seems that Starter Edition is also a gameplay mode, one that a new user is placed into for up to 72 hours, as an attempt to discourage goldfarming and other less desirable activities. I think they should think about making these two separate concepts, even if they rely on the same code.

When you start up the game, there is a small box that pops up that contains a “play” button and some links. One of the links that comes up right now is to a developer Q&A. Buried in this is a comment from one of the devs that the recipes are only available in inferno difficulty (except for the Staff of Herding, as noted by Chronos).

Thanks Bigt, well the steam summer sale should be along soon. Guess i can wait a while till they open it to everyone.

Question for the wizards out there: Any point in using companions other than the templar? I heard that the enchantress’s crowd control spells were worthwhile, but with 5-digit repair costs, I’m not in a hurry to get rid of my tanky guy (even if elite packs facemelt him with regularity).