Diablo3 - Go hardcore or go home!

I played hardcore exclusively in d2. I can’t bring myself to do it in d3, especially after watching my character die to server lag three times in the last month. If that had happened in hardcore mode, I would have quit the game completely.

I died specifically due to lag 3 times yesterday (and to puny monsters at that!), so the guy who wrote that article can eff off.

My first hardcore died at Belial. Never had any issue with lag though.

RIP my prince!

I just reached Hell difficulty at level 51. It was a glorious blaze through Azmodan and Diablo. Sadly, my character won’t be getting much further. An elite appeared and summoned the invincible lag monster. I was playing with a buddy but he could do nothing but watch as I perished helplessly.

She will be avenged.

My level 54 barbarian perished on login, as he spawned right on top of an elite pack with fire chains. He will be missed. Is there any way to force a spawn in town instead of dangerous places?

Yeah. Start the quest from the beginning instead of hitting resume game. Sorry for your barb.

I’ve been wondering how long it would be before we saw this post.

Does it still tell you “Your deeds will be remembered”?

This sounds like a great idea!

Unfortunately I don’t have the game. Or a decent enough computer on which to run it. Or the cash for either of those things. Or the time to play it if I did. Or anything constructive to add to this thread. Or a way to bow out of this gracefully.

You were wondering eh? You and me both buddy :mad:

And yes, it does. “Your deeds of valor will be remembered” flashes, and you can choose to archive your hero so it doesn’t count against your 10 limit. It also tells you what monster killed you.

i don’t understand either, i have read it twice but I have forgotten the point I was trying to make.

Part of it is a bragging rights thing: If you have a hardcore-mode character of whatever level, then everyone knows that you’ve made it that far without dying.

Part of it is impulse control: If you play softcore with the intent of quitting if you die, then you might be tempted to just say “Oh, that one didn’t count” when you do, and you want to take that option away from yourself.

The following post is made under the assumption that there is a hardcore single player mode. I don’t play the game–I tried D2 and it’s just not my genre. I’m guessing based on what games I do play.

They could if the game would pause if you get disconnected. Panic quit won’t work that way, as you’d come right back to where you were. You can’t do that in multiplayer, but there’s no reason they can’t in single player. All you need to do is force that character to have to go back to where they were when they resume, and if the player doesn’t resume at all within a certain period of time, it counts as a death. (Or they can use the 10 second compromise–the game would just unpause and play through 10 more seconds to see if the player dies.)

Of course, if they’d actually released D3 as a game rather than an online service, they could actually have you download the portion of the map you are currently using, thus making disconnects irrelevant. Yeah, some people might figure out how to hack the client and cheat. So what? It’s single player! And there isn’t a points system, right? (If there is a leader board, you’d have to figure out ways to detect cheating–perhaps by how often someone disconnects.)

BTW, my previous comment was about those who believe hardcore is the only way to play, not that I have a problem with people who do enjoy that sort of thing. I’m just saying that the logic fails to convince me: I can just as easily argue that hardcore is the worst way to play, as it makes exploration too dangerous. I think it makes the most sense the way Chronos plays it: explore in softcore (:p) but then come back and play in hardcore for the extra challenge.

I like reckless acts of Diablo bravado. The goal of playing for me is not to avoid death, but to see how many champ packs I can down on Inferno at the same time. I could creep around, fight only small groups of mobs, and only confront bosses when I far outlevel them to avoid death. But I do not like playing at that pace. So HC is not for me.

Basically, this can’t really be implemented in a good way.

The internet is (both fortunately and unfortunately) not like your phone line. It’s entirely possible for your connection to be disconnected without the Blizzard servers being made aware of that fact for several seconds, which is more than enough time to die. If you want to play hardcore, you simply have to accept that it’s one of the risks of playing in that mode (I do, and it’s quite enjoyable. Even the one time I lost a character to it was ultimately enjoyable, if frustrating at the time).

You’re correct that the only feasible solution is to allow the single player game to be played locally - without an internet connection. But that breaks other parts of the game as well. The entire game, rightly or wrongly, was designed around a persistent internet connection. While Blizzard has tried to minimize the potential impact of disconnects, it’s just not possible to completely avoid the issue because of the way the internet works.

Diablo 3 doesn’t precisely have a single-player mode at all, in HC or SC. You can play it single-player, and while you’re the only one in the game you can pause, but it’s the same characters, items, etc. in single or multi, and even if you start a game as single, a friend can join in at any time. So any cheat that was usable in single-player would inherently bleed over into multiplayer.

Here here! Btw, I took a break from re-levelling a wizard and switched to barb for a while. Back up to 38 and doing nicely so far in NM.

Yeah, I’m slowly working my main monk through Inferno now, but I don’t use her much, except through lower difficulties to pick up random achievements quickly without worrying about dying (or even needing to take on enemies).

I’m working on building up a stable of other characters up to at least 30 and through Normal so I can have some backups if the worst happens. So far, I’ve got a DH to 36, a Barb to 29, and a WD to 15. Only lost the one 22 wizard so far. I’m thinking of doing another monk, too, since that’s my favorite class so far with DH a close 2nd.

Fortunately, we’ve found a couple good crafting plans to produce stuff to sell, so income is not a huge concern for repairs and buying upgrades for multiple characters. And hand-me-down equipment can be much better than random drops or even most auction house stuff.

Awesome. So that makes me, Selene, Great Antibob, and Kinthalis who are the HC adrenaline junkies :slight_smile:

Bob, does your barb need any gear? I’ve been keeping all mine up to 38 in case of lag monster or other deaths. I could give you some, oooor I’m in real need of some Tomes of Jewelcrafting. I got enough gems to go up to the 8th or 9th tier I think, but the tomes are too expensive to justify me purchasing them atm ;_;