Did anyone else get asked to create a NYT account in Wordle today?

I have played Wordle for years and it kept my stats (as long as I played from my phone) but today after I solved it it it said “To see your stats and streaks create an account”. I assumed this is a part of the New York Times flexing their ownership of the game (the recently had many knock offs shut down) but when I mentioned what happened to me to a friend, they did not see the same message I did. Did anyone else?

I didn’t today, but I have been asked a few times before. Just ignore it and it will continue to allow you to play without an account. At least that’s been the case for me so far.

I get asked from time to time. My stats get reset on occasion too. I don’t pay attention to the stats ever except that I notice when they restore to zero.

I play in a browser on PC. Previously the stats were maintained as long as I didn’t close the browser or clear the cookies. Then a couple weeks ago I needed to create an account to see the stats. An advantage to this is that stats survive the browser being closed. I would also occasionally use the “did you beat the bot” feature to see how I did against the rest of the world. But as of last week you now have to subscribe for £2/month to use this feature.

Yes this is what happened to me on my phone. I can play but my stats are now hidden unless I create an account.