Did Bill Clinton Ever Say 'I Feel Your Pain'?

Heh, the Onion had a great headline based on this: “Clinton feels nation’s pain, breasts”. :stuck_out_tongue:

The print edition of Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations sources the quote to the March 1992 campaign appearance.

I have a follow-up question for JeffB: Can we isolate the time frame, and maybe even the process, by which this became the canonical Clinton expression?

The Laura Belle campaign appearance wasn’t heavily publicized at the time, at least outside of New York. It wasn’t a debate nor, I’m sure, was it televised live. Furthermore, the quote wasn’t delivered in a manner of oozing empathy, as everyone now imagines; it was delivered in a moment of confrontation. In fact, the confrontation was the only thing that made the event newsworthy.

So how did this become so famous? By fall 1992 this was the canonical Clinton quote, and everybody remembered hearing it during a debate or a town hall even though that never happened. Did an opposition politician pick up on the quote and start flogging it? Did a comedian make fun of it a la Fey/Palin?

For starters, using Lexis/Nexis, can we get a count of how many times the quote was associated with Clinton in news sources by month during 1992?

Well, for starters, you might PM JeffB, as I sincerely hope he’s not still frequently checking in on this thread. If not, well, come back in about 2017 and we’ll see. :slight_smile:

I thought “It’s the economy, stupid” was the canonical quote. And I don’t know where that came from either.

Maybe Calvin Coolidge used it first.

Wow,it only took 7 years to answer this question.

Count yourself lucky!

It came from a sign James Carville hung in the Clinton campaign headquarters: It's the economy, stupid - Wikipedia

I never notice when a thread is a zombie . . . OK, the follow-up is for anybody with Lexis/Nexus access and too much time on their hands.

4 seconds long, all you hear is the quote, but this proves it, no doubt…

I and many people first think of another canonical Clinton quote.

Double zombie thread, but for anybody interested, the video is also shown in this year’s Oscar-nominated documentary How to Survive a Plague, about ACT UPs involvement in getting AIDS-related drug evaluation changed and sped up.

We’re improving! It only took three years this time.

Will we see JeffB before the year is through?

Since the OP was answered years ago, this one is closed.

samclem, moderator.