Did/does shaming children ever work to get them to eat?

The more interesting question is “Does shaming children ever work?” and our thoughts on using shame as a behavior modifier.

Other than being Catholic ( :wink: ), there was a time in which I used shame on Sophia… or, better said, allowed it to be used on her… and yes, it completely changed her behavior.

For the longest time, she absolutely refused to brush or comb her hair, and it was a constant battle with her mother about this. (I thought Sophia looked cute with her hair the way it was - it gave her a really 70s hippy flower child look that was adorable.) Regardless, in regards to hair, my home was like the Western Front in 1917 - positions never moved and you could time the flare ups like clockwork except when one or the other party had decided they had. HAD. ENOUGH!

One day my wife turned to me and angrily asked “Why don’t you ever help me with this?”

“Eh, this isn’t my battle and she has obviously decided we’re full of shit on this one, so why bother? The other kids will change her mind soon enough - one day, she’ll come home either quiet or mad, storm into the bathroom, and brush her hair for an hour, and all this will be over because some little shit will say something and absolutely embarrass her. So I don’t need to do a thing but wait.”

“You’re going to let her get humiliated like that?”

“No, honey, she is. We’ve tried teaching her this lesson, she doesn’t want to hear it from us. But she’ll listen to others.”

And that’s exactly what happened. She came home one day, obviously upset, and locked herself in the bathroom and came out with smooth hair, combed and treated ever since. And we love having Sophia with us, so seeing that broke our hearts a little bit, watching her grow up in yet another way.

(Now I’ve made myself sad…)

Regardless, dammit, shame worked in that instance! :wink: