Did Jesus ever get mad?

I guess he wasn’t all that bad, then.

Don’t forget: When He “died” He turned day into night for several hours, ripped the temple curtain, caused an earthquake, and broke open some graves. That beats turning over some tables.

No, the Catholic position is merely that they were step-brothers–Joseph’s children from a previous marriage (that ended in death).

I can’t believe no one’s mentioned Jesus’s asking “My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” during the Crucifixion. Jesus may not have been full-on angry then, but he was definitely a bit cross.

Mad? No way! He’s Jesus. can turn water into wine, get babes by the handful, raise the dead. He can do pretty much anything he wants to, and has 12 yes-men to back him up. He might get a little peeved, but with all the power in the world there’s not much that can make you mad. If somebody crosses you, you just turn them into bunny rabbits. It’s not any harder that creating a thousand fishes from thin air.

Sounds like a Who concert.

Would work even better with the late lamented happy orthodox jewish smiley.

He was kind of annoyed when Peter cut that guy’s ear off. Peter tended to get on everyone’s nerves.

If Jesus ever tried to uninstall Norton Anti-virus you can bet your bottom dollar he got mad.

First time I hear that version, I always got the “they weren’t his brothers, they were his manitos” explanation.

Well, ok, since this wasn’t Mexico, the actual expression used was parientes al estilo ribero, but that means “cousins of any known degree and people he grew up with going into and out of each other’s houses all the time”. Sort of like my youngest brother has three brothers who are not related to us by blood at all, but they were all born in the same apartments building in the same year, they were always classmates, and they still know things about each other some of their blood relatives don’t.

Exactly. I believe BigT is mistaken on the Catholic school of thought.

I think he was mad because he was ripped off on a dime bag.

Being nailed to a cross would make anyone more than a bit cross.

Never got the “money changer” thing. Why would the temple care if someone put a Syrian “dollar” or an Egyptian “Peso”, etc. in the offering box? The priests were only interested in money and why would they care what form it was in. All the coins were accepted locally for any goods you wanted to buy. There was no reason to change one kind of money for another.

When I was in southern Indian a few years back. There were lots of money changers in front of the temples, especially on Holy Days. However these moneychangers were not exchanging one type of currency for another. They were giving change.

Hundreds of beggars lined the entrance way to the temples. And worshipers needed lots of small coins so they could offer alms to as many of these beggars as possible. Worshipers would hand a 100 Repee note to the money changer and get 95 (or something less than 100) back and the money changer would make a small profit on every transaction for his trouble.

I always wondered if the money changers during Jesus’ time were only giving maybe only the equivalent of “88cents for each $1.00” they changed for the worshipers and this is what pissed Christ off so much.

There was the time he palm striked a leper and all that was left was a screaming bloody skeleton.

I’m sure I read that in the bible.

People were not donating money, they were buying items for sacrifice from merchants outside the Temple.

There were too many coins of varying quality for a simple merchant to keep track. It required a bit of specialized knowledge to ascertain if that Persian drachma was mostly or very little silver and how much of the coin was left after people had sliced off bits of it.

Also, prices for a lot of stuff were frequently fixed in the local coin. The authorities would not be happy if you did your own currency exchange for goods, dancing around on the worth of the coins involved, as that would open the doors to people selling at higher/lower cost than the mandated amount.

Once you had a money-changing business going, then you basically become a banker of sorts and then things get really interesting. And bankers were just as despised back then as they are today.

That’s right–the Catholic “position” on a given Scripture verse is that, with the exception of the *very * few verses on which the Pope/Magisterium has spoken authoritatively, there is no Catholic position. In this case, Catholics are free to believe whatever they like about who those “brothers” may be, provided that they aren’t taken as Mary’s biological children. They could be Joseph’s sons from a previous marriage, cousins (consistent with the Aramaic language interpretation of “brothers”), etc.

He was pissed because all those merchants were eating into the collection plate profits. Gold chalices don’t grow on trees, y’know. We’ll never get a bigger church if someone else fleeces the gullible before we get a shot at them, damn!

The other reason moneychangers were needed was that most secular coins had graven images on them, and thus weren’t allowed in the Temple itself.

If you ask my wacky neighbor, she’ll tell you god and Jesus are pretty pissed off now… and Jesus’s mom is basically the one holding them back from clocking us in the face.