Did Junior Johnson endorse Obama?

Rachel Madow just mentioned the endorsement but was careful to point out that various bloggers say Junior Johnson endorsed Obama, she didn’t say he did it just that some bloggers say he did. Strange. I would expect either an confirmation or denial by now…

James Dean in that Mercury ‘49
Junior Johnson runnin’ thru the woods of Caroline
Even Burt Reynolds in that black Trans-Am
All gonna meet down at the Cadillac Ranch

Bruce Springsteen - Cadillac Ranch 1980

According to this Orlando Sentinel posting, both the Winston Salem Journal and Landmark Newspapers have run with the story.

Also, interestingly, Junior Johnson contributed to Hillary Clinton’s campaign in the primaries.

Wouldn’t a savvy politician prefer that Mr. Johnson’s second career be emphasized?

The link you posted goes to yet another blog posting not a researched story by a staff or contract reporter.

You a yankee aint ya? Bootleggin is an honorable career down here…

I know, but as I pointed out, it references print articles in the Winston-Salem Journal and Landmark Newspapers.

I just saw this thread (I can’t vanity search my user name, since it’s only 2 letters). First, I’m a she :). Second, I offered to send you the email and that offer still stands - just PM your email address to me and the email is yours. You can go to town checking headers or whatever you want to do. Third, if your friends won’t trust your word that some random guy on the internet called the NC Obama office and confirmed, why don’t you call them? Or give them the number to call? Here’s a list of their North Carolina offices. It looks like the Raleigh office is the state headquarters for the campaign.

Thanks for the offer but I don’t doubt that there is an e-mail. As for confirming with the Obama office, do you really think a diehard McCain supporter would accept my claim that I personally confirmed with the Obama campaign? What I am trying to find is some public source like a Newspaper that ran a researched story and maybe you know talked to Junior Johnson. The fact that the only evidence of this endorsement is some e-mail sent out by the campaign of one side and that no other source is available just makes it hard to prove.

Las Vegas Review Journal’s sports page roundup, with quote from the man himself: Las Vegas News | Breaking News & Headlines | Las Vegas Review-Journal

I’ve got to say that I love the notion that a diehard McCain supporter is all of a sudden going to require primary sources for proof. No more email forwards and half-baked rumors for them, nosiree!

It’s not the moonshine that we yankee elitist liberals have a problem with, it’s the runner’s personal safety. Somehow I doubt that the shine, or Mr. Johnson, had on proper three point restraints. Such irresponsibility is mind-boggling.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-ganguli3108oct31,0,2076438.column

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/31/AR2008103101564.html

Obama has all the best hillbillies on his side, including bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley.

thanks Squink