Did some politician say that “Socrates would get cancelled today”?

I don’t think you’re following the story real well, because the answer is zero.

None? The left is the side that is generally okay with what the right had deemed “cancelling.” They call it “deplatforming” and consider it all just freedom of speech and association. So they’re not going to compare said cancelling to execution.

Since this is a political question, let’s move it to P&E.

Cool. Now I can add what I left out.

It is the right wing that likes to exaggerate cancelling to make it this horrible thing. They try to link it to cyberbullying, something we all agree is wrong. And, if they stuck with that, I would be okay with it. But when they act like it’s horrible when people share their negative opinion, boycotting it, and suggest their employers fire them (while the employers still make the actual choice)? That’s dumb. When they act like the people they agree should have freedom of speech, but the platforms and people they disagree with should not, that’s just hypocritical.

They know this, which is why they love to exaggerate how bad being “cancelled” actually is. You know, what this guy actually did.

We don’t even have to - they’re eating the horse paste on their own.

Now Trump thinks Robert E. Lee would have won the war in Afghanistan.

If the “Left” “cancelled” Socrates, it’d probably be for his justification of some forms of slavery. Because most people these days have come around to the view that slavery is bad. Like, really bad.

It’s also why he and Aristotle are in the Bad Place, as opposed to Plato who is there for being a really loud chewer.

How hard did you try? When I Google “Socrates cancelled” the first three hits directly quote Anthony Sabatini (R-FL) saying this.

That’s how I answered it a few minutes after the question was posted, despite the fact that I’d never heard of this before. I just Googled it and got the answer right away.