Did you go see dinner theater, back in the day?

Not just “back in the day.” Within the last decade I’ve seen several productions at the Candlelight Pavilion in Claremont, CA. They lost their building to redevelopment, but are still doing dinner shows around the IE.

Maybe start an AMA thread? I’m really quite curious now.

In the 70’s we went quite a few times. My memories are mostly of fettuccini alfredo, shirley temples, and craning my neck because as the youngest I always got the awkward seat. I wouldn’t have paid attention to anyone’s name, or what their acting credentials were. I definitely knew when we had a good singer and when we didn’t.

The majority were light musicals and comedies. It was entertainment. Nobody was trying to be high brow or achieve heights of culinary or dramatic performance. It was just a nice evening out, something I think we could all use more of these days.

Was it like this?

My one and only experience with dinner theater was when my father got sick and asked me to pinch hit and accompany my mother to take a client and wife to a forgettable performance of something starring Sheila MacRae. The highlight of the evening was after the play when MacRae came out and talked about working with Jackie Gleason. The lowlight was during dinner, when my father’s client proceeded to lecture me on everything that was wrong with my generation.

After my mother told my father how the evening went, he never entertained the client again, and limited my exposure only to a few long-time clients who had literally seen me grow up.

It wasn’t quite that bad, but yeah, that’s just a comedic exaggeration of reality. (Shudders with flashbacks.)

High school music trips almost always included a dinner theater. Most memorable one was Tommy Gun’s Garage in Chicago, now defunct. Also made several trips to Medieval Times in Chicago. There’s one here in town that I’ve paid enough for using their parking lot during the day for hikes that I should get free tickets by now.

Performed a one-night dinner theater show of “Love Letters” for Valentine’s Day. That was interesting.

I went to two dinner theater performances. Can’t remember what was being performed. And the dinners were pretty lame also.

Not dinner theater, but I saw Cyndi Lauper at a venue that served dinner 20-ish years ago. She was awesome, the food so-so.

I bought two tickets the minute they went on sale, then sort of forgot about them. As a result I was unable to find a date for the night. I ended up asking my daughter and she was happy to go. She told me that her mom kept telling her that Cyndi Lauper was mostly a draw for gay guys. My daughter found it hilarious that her mom was trying to dis me.

My parents took us there pretty regularly when we were kids. My fave was seeing Ray Rayner (local kids’ show) in The Most Happy Fella. Saw a ton of shows there in the early 70s - Man of La Mancha, Fiddler on the Roof, etc.

ISTR there was an ice cream shop immediately to the north that we occasionally went to. Also had the Forum theater attached - which was a standard theater. Sat Boss there - about Hizzoner Mayor Daley.

Also went to Pheasant Run, out in St. Charles. My favorite memory from there was Michael Cole from Mod Squad.

Got Ray Rayner’s and Michael Cole’s autographs! :smiley:

ISTR attending one for a middle school class trip. I distinctly remember being taught how to clap appropriately for that trip and there was a meal involved – main course was filet of sole.

I go to the dinner theater where I live about once per decade. The food is adequate, but nothing special, and the shows are adequate, but nothing special (it ain’t Broadway). I wouldn’t pay for only the food, or only the shows, but together they make a fun evening.

I went to one with my girlfriend in the summer of 1983 after Freshman year of college. She and I met in the dorms and one of our dorm mates was in one and also waitstaff. They did a mix of songs from various musicals. They sang, danced and had costumes. Each actor had main parts in some and were background in others and not at all in some. There were a few solos as well.

I was completely unfamiliar with musicals so all of the songs were new to me. I don’t remember anything about the food. I remember two of the songs with the help of Google because I’ve still never seen the musicals.

Aggie Song from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (who the fuck thought that this would be a delightful idea for a musical?)

Telephone Hour from Bye Bye Birdie (I had completely forgotten about this song until someone recently linked to it here)

I liked it only because it was a blast to see our friend perform. It’s not something I’d do again.

The Chicago area also had Drury Lane in Evergreen South. We only went a couple of times and I don’t clearly remember, but I think the restaurant and theater were separate - as they are in the current Drury Lane in Oak Brook. Looking on-line, I see the Drury Lane described as “dinner theater”, but to my mind, that describes the old Candlelight, where you ate and watched the play from the same seat at a table, instead of eating in a restaurant and then moving to a regular “stadium” theater.

We were going in the mid-90s, just before it closed. Literally; we hadn’t bought tickets for the final season because my wife was losing her night vision, and since I don’t drive that would have made it impossible for us to attend evening performances.

I saw one as a teenager, dragged there by my mom. Being pedantic, I was taken out of it because although taking place during WW2, all the flags had 50 stars.

My parents took us all to one when I was growing up. I would have been 12 or thereabouts - so 50+ years ago.

We went to one a couple times in North Carolina. There used to be one near where we live now, but the only time I was ever there was when a friend’s kid had a birthday party there (they did some kind of kid-friendly show for the purpose).

IIRC, the food was always perfectly acceptable, possibly even good. Never saw anyone even remotely famous, however. The performances seemed competent - better than high school plays, which was my only basis for comparison at that point.

I went to the Carousel Dinner Theater in Akron with the Girl Scouts in the 80s. I am pretty sure we saw “Cats”.

My mom would go to the Carousel matinees with her friends back when it was in Ravenna. I’ve been a couple times as well, but that was so long ago I don’t remember what I saw.

The Chanhassen was my first and probably only exposure to dinner theater. As a tween/teen I saw many a classic musical there with my family. I may have seen one with my school choir trip as well. It’s been decades since I’ve been there-- we moved away.

I can’t say I remember the food, although I remember that we did eat.

(“Many” probably means about 6 or fewer. Shows like “West Side Story” and “Guys and Dolls”).