Diego Maradona dead at age 60

I would say some time around the early to mid 90s. And look at the football shorts from around 1980: they were not only super short, but also super tight!

Random pic from a google picture query:

I wonder if someone had him in the celebrity death-pool 2020, that would be 40 points. But he was a really great one, no doubt. I am proud he played at Barça, I am a culer. Even if it probably was there that he got hooked on cocaine after the terrible foul from Goicoechea that kept him injured for months. Good bye, pibe! Thanks for some great moments!

Geez all the GOAT arguments I’m hearing everywhere (not here).

Astounding player. Some incredible headlines for this one:
L’Equipe: Dieu est mort
The Sun: In the Hands of God.

I didn’t start watching until after his career was over, but his legacy still looms large over the entire sport. My main thoughts of him are his insane disaster stint as Argentina coach for the 2010 WC and him being an… eccentric spectator for other matches.

Re his claim to the GOAT mantle: I tend to think he’s generally included in those due to emotion, especially now, rather than based on his career. He’d probably not make my top 5, but certainly top 10.

Even on career he’s considered in the GOAT conversation. Remember when FIFA named the Player of the Century for the 20th Century, it was a tie between Pele and Maradona.

I think maybe Messi and Ronaldo have moved into the conversation. With Puskas and DiStafano and Beckenbauer just behind. But Maradona being in the conversation as the GOAT is not controversial.

The All Blacks giving the Pumas a special Maradona Jersey was a nice tribute
Here’s the link.

Rest in peace, Hand of God.

" The death of soccer legend Diego Maradona has now triggered a criminal investigation, and his personal doctor appears to be in the crosshairs of the probe.

Police searched the office and home of Dr. Leopoldo Luque … Diego’s doctor. The raid followed several witnesses reportedly telling authorities they had seen Diego and the doctor fighting and shoving.

As we reported, Diego suffered a heart attack at his home in Buenos Aires. His death has been ruled a “culpable homicide.” The raid involves allegations of negligence."