Diet recipies (with WW points if you have the info)

OK, I’m always looking to try to find better alternatives than what I’ve been eating. I’ve been on WW for the last nine months or so, and have completely changed my eating habits.

One of the things that I’ve learned to do is find new ways of making old favorites. For example, instead of frying my chicken cutlets, I bake them now.

Anyway, I’m always on the prowl for new ideas. So, I’m hoping some people will post recipies here in this thread. If you have the WW points info (or nutritional info) please post that too. If not, then just feel free to post a recipie that is a good diet alternative. The simpler the dish to make, the better.

I’ll go first with one that my WW leader posted this past week:

Baked French Fries (or Freedom Fries, if you will)

Ingredients

10 oz. raw potatoes (with skin)
1 egg white
parsley
paprika
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Cut the potatoes up into strips (like the frozen french/freedom fries that you’d buy in the supermarket). Mix the spices with the egg white and beat well. Spray a baking sheet with Pam (or other similar product). Dip potatoes into egg mixture and lay them on the pan. Spray with Pam when done. Put potatoes in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. Flip 'em, spray 'em again and put 'em back for another 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Servings per recipie: 1
Points per serving: 3

Zev Steinhardt

One I have always liked, started out simply because it was easy to make, and took only one pan, which was how many I owned at the time.

Cut a pound of chicken into fajita sized strips.
Saute it in a skillet with some oil and favorite Mexican type spices (I like cilantro and crushed red peppers)
When it gets brown, add one onion and one green pepper cut into small pieces.
Saute’ that for a while.
Last, add about a cup of salsa, cover, and simmer over low heat, covered, for about 5 more minutes.

It works well in tortillas or over rice.

It was the first meal I made for my now wife, a little over 10 years ago.

One I have always liked, started out simply because it was easy to make, and took only one pan, which was how many I owned at the time.

Cut a pound of chicken into fajita sized strips.
Saute it in a skillet with some oil and favorite Mexican type spices (I like cilantro and crushed red peppers)
When it gets brown, add one onion and one green pepper cut into small pieces.
Saute’ that for a while.
Last, add about a cup of salsa, cover, and simmer over low heat, covered, for about 5 more minutes.

It works well in tortillas or over rice.

It was the first meal I made for my now wife, a little over 10 years ago.

That’s for if you need a double recipe.

Nice save!

In my more successful dieting moments I find this taco salad particularly satisfying:

Huge pile 'o lettuce (red leaf or some substantial kind, iceberg gets very old)

Half a tomato

Sauteed green peppers and onions (I always try to have some made up in the fridge, they work in everything- omelettes, salads, fajitas…)

Scoop of refried beans

As much salsa as you can shake a stick at

As much cheese as your diet permits

Handful of corn chips

*The key to the salad is to put the beans, salsa and cheese into a bowl and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. This gives you a warm and tasty dressing. Just a few chips and a pinch of cheese will go farther than you think- Avacados, cucumbers and other veggies randomly lying around make nice additions, but it’s a meal that sticks!

I’m right in the middle of planning my menu for next week (yes, I am anal retentive, thank you!), so I happen to have a few cookbooks on my desk.

I have planned a recipe from the WW Cook It Quick cookbook called Maple Glazed Chicken with Apples.

Basically you take a cup of apple cider, an apple cut into wedges (skin on), 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1/2 tsp dried thyme and heat it in a saucepan until it boils. Cook until apple is tender, which is about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and keep it warm.

Then take 4 4 ounce chicken breasts and brush with half the maple mixture. Broil them for 3 minutes about 4" away from heat. Turn over, brush with rest of mixture and broil for 3 more minutes. Serve the chicken with the apple wedges on the side.

Serves 4, 5 Points per serving.

I had a GREAT recipe last night that was 5 points per serving. Pork Chops with Sweet Corn Relish. But with a name like zev_steinhart, I suspect there’s a chance you don’t eat pork. I can’t remember the gist of the recipe anyway, otherwise I’d post it for anyone else who cares. If I think of it, I’ll try to bring it in tomorrow.

Shrimp with pasta

3 tsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes, italian style
1/2# shrimp, pre-cooked and de-tailed
italian seasoning
red pepper
2 cups angel hair pasta

Cook pasta according to directions. Defrost shrimp by running cold water over it.

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is tender. Add stewed tomatoes and italian seasoning, if desired, and cook ~5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook through.

Serve with pasta and top with freshly chopped parsley.
Serves 2
Points per serving: 8

Here are 2 of my favorites, and I made them up all by myself! Variations on a theme, y’know. Warning: they’re both “some” recipes (some of this, some of that…), so the amounts are approximate. YMMV.

Pesto Chicken and Pasta

Ingredients:
About 1 cup fresh basil
about 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 package fresh chicken drummettes (with bone and skin)
pasta of your choice (I like the orichette with this recipe)
olive oil (or basil olive oil!)
salt and pepper, garlic salt, etc.

In a food processor, process the basil, parmesan, garlic, and about 1/3 cup chicken broth until a good pesto-sauce consistency. Set aside.

In a saute pan or skillet, cook the chicken drummettes until they’re done. I do this with the rest of the chicken broth, adding it in as needed to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan. This way, I don’t use any oil. Season them as they cook with salt, pepper, garlic salt, Lawry’s seasoned salt, etc.

While the chicken is cooking, cook the pasta.

If you do this right, the chicken and the pasta should be done around the same time. Drain the pasta and add it to the chicken, and then add the pesto. Toss to coat; serve. Sprinkle a little more parmesan on top, if you want.

The chicken is 1 point per drummette, the pesto is basically free, depending on how much parmesan you put in, and how much sauce you eat! You can figure out the points for the pasta.
Sesame Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
1 package chicken drummettes
white rice
onion flakes
sesame oil
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
toasted sesame seeds
salt, pepper, etc.

Cook the rice, adding some onion flakes and a smidge of sesame oil at the beginning.

Coat the chicken drummettes in sesame seeds, and cook them in a saute pan with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Season to taste.

When the rice is done, flavor it with the sesame oil.

Serve the chicken on top of the rice. Deglaze the chicken pan with the rest of the chicken broth, add a little sesame oil at the end, and pour “sauce” over chicken and rice (if you seasoned your chicken while cooking it, this sauce is terrific!).

White rice is 4pts/cup, chicken is 1pt. per drummette, and the sauce is almost free – depends on how much sesame oil you add.

Enjoy!

Not a recipe but I found Edy’s fruit pops. They are made of whole fruit sorbet and are 1 point each. They taste really yummy. Great snack.