Digesting foods and liquids.

What I’m wanting to know is why I get full so quickly from food compared to liquids…

For example. I’d usually get pretty full eating a meal, say, 3 cheeseburgers. But when I drink liquids I can take in much more in a shorter period of time.

I just drank an entire 2 liter bottle of water within a couple of minutes. No problem. A little full feeling now. But if I were to eat say, a steak, that was 1/5 the volume I’d get to a point where I couldn’t take any more in.

How does this all work?

Thanks

I don’t know the full answer to this question but your stomach doesn’t have to do much with water and probably doesn’t keep it around long before passing it down the line. In fact, water is about the only thing we consume that doesn’t need to be broken down chemically for our body to make use of it. So it probably heads right for the large intestine.

Also, when digesting certain types of food, like protein, your body reacts differently chemically and your brain is more likely to tell you that you are full.

Physically, the water is moved along and absorbed rapidly, leaving you room for more, whereas foods are gonna need digestion, and some types of digestion (breaking down fats and proteins or dark complex carbs) actually trigger the brain to have you sense fullness.

Water and simple sugars are dealt with rapidly and briskly moved along, so your opportunity to feel full isn’t a strong compared to times where your stomach is churning and burning to break down more complex types of food.