Disabling Windows Defender.

First off, I’m using Vista. A few weeks ago I installed Ad-Aware, and so decided to disable Windows Defender. I went to control panel and turned it off. When I rebooted I noticed that it was still running. So I go to the System Configuration utility, msconfig, and I uncheck it in both the services and startup tabs. That hasn’t worked either. Normally this wouldn’t bother me too much, but every time I boot up I get an annoying pop-up message saying that Windows Defender has blocked the follwing programs:

InstallShield Update Service Scheduler
InstallShield Update Service Update Manager
System Configuration Utility

So, how do I truly disable Windows Defender? I don’t think I need to worry about InstallShield running, but what’s up with Defender blocking System Configuration Utility?

Try here.

Unfortunately that didn’t help.

A related query. Is it really a good idea to disable Defender once you’ve got Ad-Aware? I was under the impression that multiple malware detectors was supposed to be the way to go, since some will know about malware others do not.

-FrL-

My PC had an infection last week that Windows Defender helped with. Ad-Aware + SpyBotS&D + AVG Anti-Virus all detected it, but it took all of them + Windows Defender to find every piece of it. I recommend keeping it running.

There’s no reason to disable Windows Defender; it’s not like anti-virus where you can only have a single product running/installed at a given time. I’d say leave it running.

Ok it seems like I got this one solved. Turns out it wasn’t Windows Defender after all that was causing the message pop-ups. It was the UAC.

After reading the above posts I’ve decided to re-enable Defender. Thanks guys.