Disaster! The Branston Pickle factory has burned down!

BTW, rutabagas are actually a European plant, and quite plentiful in Scandinavia (since they prefer cooler climates and hence the name “swede” or “Swedish turnip.”)

The factory where they make instant tea that you get in vending machines won’t get looked after either!

Good God man! That’s frenchie food!

Salad Cream on the other hand…

Its alright. Salad Cream’ s wack.

The mint sauce wells?
Horseradish mines?

What about the Great Black Pudding Extruder of Bury?

I think the clotted cream mines have been in safe hands since the mid 70’s.

Update: Premier Foods Plc said today it expects a partial resumption of Branston Pickle production within three weeks! Huzzah!

I can’t link to the company announcement because there seems to have been some sort of screwup today at either the London Stock Exchange’s Regulatory News Service, which puts out all the company news, or the website I usually get company statements from, but here is a short news story.

When did Nestles divest themselves of Branston? Did they sell off all the Crosse & Blackwell lines?

May 2002, according to Bloomberg. (Couldn’t find a Nestle press release.) Nestle sold its ambient food businesses to buyout company Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Inc., which floated Premier Foods on the stock market in July of this year. The brands sold included Crosse & Blackwell, Sun-Pat peanut butter and Gale’s honey.

Thanks, Colonel. I worked for them in the early 80s as a lowly sales manager, flogging Libby’s and Chef brands, as well as C&B and Nestles proper.

Do “ambient businesses” refer to non-core ones? New jargon for me.

As it’s a foodmaker, ambient in this context = room temperature, as opposed to, say, chilled or frozen, I think.

Here is today’s statement from Premier Foods assessing the fire damage.

My mother now has a garage full of unwanted rutabagas.

I’ll never hear the end of this.

Branston’s new “Smokey Pickle” flavour?

I love the idea of “ambient food” - something to eat while listening to Eno’s “Music for airports”

If she’s one of the WI, they’ll be made into jam or arranged in tastful dried vegetable displays, or carved into amazing shapes.

Still if they won’t resume production for another three weeks, they’re getting awfully close to Christmas. Unless someone is holding large stocks of Branston, we may yet see a shortage. Otherwise, swede and potato mash is very nice, you know.

The Mayor of Townsville will be devastated.