Discretion to ban topics

I hope this post does not cause more people more dismay; for I have already posted it in the Pit.

I am doing it here also just in case it really should belong here.

Here is my question:

Adminstrator-Moderator Gaudere of GB banned my topic on Merit of Anal and Oral Sex, and earlier the one on Merit of Self-effected Departure (i.e., suicide).
There are three moderators for GD.

Do they work shifts of eight hours each, or they work their watch simultaneously.

Do they act as a collegial body or each one can ban a topic as the replies were still coming in, or they put the decision to ban by voting, so that at least two votes are needed to ban a topic from continuing.

By the way, who watch over the moderators or administrators to insure that they don’t abuse their discretion.

Susma Rio Sep

Please be patient with me.

I am still learning the ropes here.

Susma Rio Sep

I’m sure they don’t much care for people posting the same thread to multiple forums. Expect this one to be locked too, I’m afraid.

QED, you are an old hand here.

Would you be kind to give me some light on my questions?

Susma Rio Sep

The mods and admins put in such time as they have available when they’re not doing their regular jobs. They don’t have any set schedule an aren’t here 24/7 to keep an eye on things, so they rely on regular posters to report questionable threads. Each mod is at his/her discretion to lock, move or delete a given topic, but in order to ban an individual user, they must vote on it.

My understanding is the administrators review the actions of the moderators. I presume the owner reviews the actions of the administrators.

QED tells me:

The mods and admins put in such time as they have available when they’re not doing their regular jobs. They don’t have any set schedule an aren’t here 24/7 to keep an eye on things, so they rely on regular posters to report questionable threads. Each mod is at his/her discretion to lock, move or delete a given topic, but in order to ban an individual user, they must vote on it.

That is very informative. Thank you.

“…so they rely on regular posters to report questionable threads.”

There are reporters who report to them?

Now, I see, the line: ‘Report this post to a moderator’, means when someone is not happy with a topic for finding it questionable, he will report it to the moderator and convince him to ban it.

All the time I was thinking that the line is not so much about the character of the topic, as the language and discourteous attitude to fellow posters of anyone replying or contributing any message.

Well, that’s very enlightening to me.

Thanks, now I know that a moderator might not himself find a topic questionable, but he could be receptive to the objections of others.

By the way, Cecil Adams got into a rather hostile reaction from a number of posters here, on what he said about the war on Irag in a negative way, when he answered a query about whether Bush Jr. was AWOL…

As a matter of fact, some posters seem to hint that he should not have gone into his personal opinion about the unjust character of the war.
O.K., I got it, in presenting a topic, one has got to be wary of possible objections from others to the topic itself being introduced at all.

Thanks for this background directive.
Susma Rio Sep

I don’t think it is as much that moderators will be swayed by persuasion from ordinary mortals reporting posts as much as that the ‘report post to moderator’ function allows members to act as additional eyes and ears for them, pointing out problem areas that (given their limited time) they might not have immediately noticed; whether or not action is taken by the moderator is still subject to the board rules and/or their discretion/judgment.

I suppose, though, that a large number of cries that a subject or post is offensive might be a useful litmus test for the mods and might be influential in a decision to take action.

General Questions is for questions with factual answers. This is not a General Question.

This is about the administration of the board and properly belongs in the Pit.

We frown on cross-posting – opening the same topic in multiple forums. Don’t do that again. If we feel that the topic belongs in another forum, we’ll move it.

This is closed.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator