Diseases named for patients

As far I knew only one disease, Christmas disease, was named after a patient. I have been told, on moderately good authority, that there is at least one more. Does anyone know other diseases named after patients?

Oh, there are a few. Off the top of my head, there’s Lou Gehrig’s disease, for example. According to Wikipedia, there are at least a couple more: Hartnup disease and Mortimer’s disease.

If you include diseases named after a group of patients: Legionnaires’ disease (Legionellosis).

I don’t count Lou Gehrig’s disease because it was called ALS long before Gehrig contracted it. This would only be diseases named after a patient when first described.

I believe that the Yankees are renaming Lou Gehrigs’s Disease. As part of their negotiations with a hot young Japanese pitcher it will become Daisuke Matsuzaka’s Disease. Negotiations are still open for Plide of the Yankees.

Does Elephantiasis count?

Here is one where the disease was named after the doctor (well, medical student, in this case) who first described it AND the patient it was first described in.

Bacitracin is named after Margaret Tracey, the 7-year old patient on whom the beneficial bacteria was discovered.

Also Huntington’s Disease. The most famous person to have this genetic condition was Woody Guthrie, though his son Arlo seems to have been spared.

Well, as Groucho put it, “I’ve got Osgood Schlatter’s Disease, and he’s got mine.”

Okay, that doesn’t really count, because they’re the guys that discovered it, but I think it’s funny. Plus, I’ve had it.

If we widen the field to include the non-physical, could we add the Christ Complex?

In the book The Hot Zone, one strain of Ebola is often referred to by the name of the nurse who first contracted it. I think the name was Ebola Mahenga, a sub strain of Ebola Zaire.

I don’t have the book handy, and a short Google only came up with the strains named after places (Ebolas Zaire, Sudan, Reston, and Tai, along with the related disease, Marburg). Using the nurse’s name may have been isolated to the book.

Chandipura virus
Quilty Lesions
Cowden’s Disease
Mortimers Malady
Satchmo’s Syndrome

That’s Chandipura virus

I swear I’m not making this up:

Jumping Frenchmen of Maine

(I never heard of this, until last Sunday’s article in *Parade * with the alarming title: Do You Have a Rare Disease?)