Disinformation works

Annnnnnnnnd the reason you didn’t tell dropzone this…since he was the one the focusing his attention on this in the OP (go ahead…scroll up and read it…it’s easy to do) , is becauuuuuuuuuuuse?

Because if I had to chase down every fucking item of gnat-bashing and condemn it, I’d have time for nothing else. But the rare call for us to focus on the camel’s ass that is stinking up the room merits recognition.

translated: I was too fucking lazy to bother with the OP…so a drive by blast will have to suffice.

My entire point (and SPOOFE’s) was asking why the OP bothered to make such a big deal about this…since it’s dumb shit done by both sides. Guess it was easier for you to aim at the messenger though, rather than bother to actually read the OP.

There, there. They’re all just jealous 'cause your so…special. Come in off that ledge, and I’ll make you a nice cup chamomile tea, we can talk. Don’t listen to them, they just want to see the splatter you make when you hit the sidewalk…

(Take it easy, BD. Besides, I ain’t worth it, I can prove that, got testimonials from exes long as your arm…)

It’s funny. I remember reading a post from Bricker in GD awhile back about how elucidator would resort to flowery bullshit whenever he got caught being wrong.

I used to think ole Bricker was just pulling my leg on that one…engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

Used to.

Not a bit of it! I engage in flowery bullshit for the sheer hell of it! I do it for the same reason a dog licks his balls, because I can. You don’t because of your sensible contempt for same, such pointless eloquence is quite beneath you. As you amply demonstrate.

I’m cool with that! Freak freely! But if you think you can dent a cast-iron ego like mine with rabbit-ammo…

Which is why I react to your flowery rhetoric the same way I do when I see a dog licking his balls, elucidator.

I turn away with a little queasiness.

Born of bitter envy, in both instances.

If I may, I’d like to point out what I see as a qualitative difference in the circumstances surrounding dropzone’s example and beagledave’s battery of examples.

The Presidential IQ rankings hoax provided by beagledave appears to have found its way into the news services of two foreigh countries (and was totally unrelated to the 2004 presidential campaign). Its initial reporting in an American mainstream media context seems to have been along the lines of: “Foreign News Organizations Taken In By Hoax.” Of the other examples provided by beagledave, I am unaware of any evidence that they reached the mainstream media at all.

dropzone’s example, on the other hand, appears to have drifted into the coverage of one of our heavy hitters. Additionally, it happened right in the middle of a presidential campaign, the hoax was likely perpetrated in an effort to influence the outcome of the election, and the quote from the veteran in the story

tends to support the title of the OP

That said, I can still concur with Liberal’s and 'luci’s contention that the outcome in November is of such importance that it renders all nine examples trivial.

Translated: you peed on my foot and now I want you to pee on Johnny’s foot too.

Unfortunately, the OP is talking about fraud. Fraud is not piddly shit. In fact, the whole modus operandi of the Bush administration is deception. Even my own wife has been deceived by him, and she’s the one who long ago taught me the underpinning basis of noncoercion — property ownership.

I’m going to put a dollar in a jar every time The Poster We Do Not Speak Of uses the word “noncoercion,” in a month or two, when I have about ninety thousand dollars, I’m going to donate it all to Lyndon LaRouche.

Well, look who’s wrong again!

The dragged out the rotting hulk of Bob Dole today, to diss Kerry’s injuries as trivial…something about how he isn’t drawing any disability, so it must be pretty minor.

I would have sworn they were ready to run away from this one, but it looks like they intend to escalate! That’s an ominous development, it means that they not only figure on getting away with it, but figure it will work for them, and big time. Now Darth Rove is a vile pile of pus, but he’s a smart motherfucker and as ruthless a man as ever lived. If he thinks this is going to work, he’s probably right.

(Could be he’s playing to the money. Force Kerry to put out ads denying shit, and force him to spend the cash that he has, while Bush skates on campaign finance because he’s not officially nominated yet. Isn’t lovely to have such idealistic patriots in charge?)

Man to watch: John McCain. Will he suck up to the same creeps who crapped all over him in 2000? Or will he stand up on his hind legs and say “There is some shit I will not eat!”

Wow.

First you say :

This was in direct response to my coverage of the anti-Bush photos and what not spread via the 'net.

Now you say that the OP is "talking about fraud…Fraud is not piddly shit.

Jesus Christ…are you so fucking stupid that you STILL haven’t actually read the OP?

Here it is in its entirety again you ignorant twit.

The OP is whining about a forged photo…claiming that it is part of “an anti-Kerry disinformation campaign”…right? RIGHT?

Now what did you bitch at ME about? Oh yeah…linking to shit like this…a forged photo.

Now if the forged Kerry photo is FRAUD, not piddly shit…please be so kind as to explain to me why the Bush photo is NOT fraud, but piddly shit?

God, you’re a jackass. You don’t read the OP very well, you don’t read MY post very well…and you’re trying to claim that there is a difference between a forged Kerry photo and a forged Bush photo.

JOHNNY [sorting imaginary pebbles with the toe of his sneaker]: Mister? Are you sayin’ NPR gets fooled too? Say it ain’t so, mister… [weeping] say it ain’t so.

Good heavens, when did the president become so powerful? (And honestly, who knew he was so good with Photoshop?!)

Plain truth is, this kind of stink-pottery is beneath Mr Bush. He’s much more skilled with crafting quasi-evangelical rallies where followers drool over their questions and eye him with utter awe. At these “Ask Bush” meetings, vocal dissent is commonly drowned out by raucous chants of “Four More Years”, outbursts allegedly as pure and spontaneous as applause at The Tonight Show.

This fake photo stuff, on the other hand, stinks like grass-roots hatred.

We all know it, especially around here in the Pit. Words can hurt. I submit that angry people, these earnest detractors of Lieutenant Kerry, are to blame for the most egregious of the smears, not the Bush Campaign.

Upon his return from Vietnam, Mr Kerry’s anti-war declarations were utterly devastating. To some, those words amount to a GI pulling the pin and rolling a grenade into his platoon’s bivy. His was a remarkable betrayal, and as a consequence, there are scores of thousands of soldiers – and children and grandchildren – who will always hate Jack Kerry.

With such a formidable, veteran contingent of ill will against his opponent, why would Mr Bush dirty his hands on such petty matters?

If you’re quite finished displaying the plumage of your dumbassedness, you will note that my original hurrah! to Elucidator was in comparing the urgency of an obscure fake photo with a multi-million dollar libelous smear campaign. But nothing in my thanks to him implied that I have given any break to fraud as a whole.

Me, I think “if only I could…”

flowery rhetoric and ball licking, that is

Well, you should at least pet the dog first, make sure he’s friendly…

We actually gave money to McCain in 2000, back when I was a Republican. I sent an email to him last night, telling him, politely, that I was ashamed at him for being a pussy and not standing up to Bush and this thugs. Now I did use the word thugs.

It would be great if McCain stood up at the convention and condemned the Paddle Boat Liars - but it would be nice if Jesus came back and condemned Bush too. The two events have an equal chance of happening. McCain might have survived the Hanoi Hilton well, but being locked up in the Republican Party seems to have given him a good case of the Stockholm Symptom.

Jesus H. Christ, I go away from a moribund thread for a couple days and find out that I’m supposed to expand on my thoughts AND I’m supposed to be insulted? I’m touched! Since when have any of you CARED about my thoughts OR my feelings? :smiley:

SteveG1, the “liberals as wafflers” comment was sarcasm at my own side’s expense. Yeesh.

All’a’yez, I never stated that there was a single anti-Kerry disinformation campaign led by Karl Rove. I will say there appear to be several going on and some support for some of them appears to be traceable further up the CREEP heirarchy but that particular photo and its original dissemination probably was the work of a lone mouseman.

Ah, the famous Conservative Binary World in action! Either/Or. Black/white. How do you like this answer? Some people who are against Bush or Kerry, or some who are just wiseasses with Photoshop, and email account, and too much time on their hands, have created lies that reflect badly on their target. Some of these people act as part of a group and some as individuals, but the nature of a smear campaign generally leaves its principals anonymous so it’s easiest to lump all groups and individuals with a common goal into the same “campaign.”

While sometimes amusing in the way they reinforce a viewer’s preconceptions of a candidate these lies are uniformly bad but generally piddly shit. What takes a lie out of the amusing and piddly catagory is when a correspondent from respected national news service hears a person stating that his objection to a candidate is based on one of those lies and that the lie has achieved such currency that reporter not only does not ask the person, “Do you realize that photo/story/rumor you saw is a lie?” but includes the comment in his report. But when his editor does not say to the reporter, “You moron! Snopes debunked that months ago. You’re fired,” and allows the reference to it to be broadcast that tells me it is an element of a highly successful campaign. This is not a case where a service broadcasts one of these lies before it has been debunked then pretends it never fell for such obvious bullshit. This lie has legs and my disappointment is less in the man quoted than it is in the people between when he said it and when I heard it. However, a lie needn’t have a Karl Rove or James Carville managing its distribution to have legs. Yahoo mail works just fine.

However, kaylasdad99 has a point. A difference between the Kerry/Fonda photo and those hoaxes beagledave linked is that it was released during the election season while most of the others are older and were intended to mock a sitting president, a time-honored pastime. It also isn’t very funny while the upsidedown book photo is a laff riot. :rolleyes:

I know this is a couple of days old, but I just have to address it, in the interest of fighting ignorance and all…

And you have just perfectly demonstrated iampunah’s point, even while trying to dispute it. It seems to you, yet it is not true. Behold:

So as it relates to the OP, disinformation really does have an impact, especially when “true believers” latch onto something they want to be true and then spread it around as if it really were true.