Disney+ appreciation thread

I came upon a Ranker article that listed The Little Matchgirl as starring a character who had a horribly tragic story, and I watched it. Animated short. Seven minutes of pure, weaponized sadness. And they wanted this for Fantasia 2006? Jeez, you guys.

Don’t get me wrong, though; it’s beautiful and it should be seen, but prepare in advance to cry.

I just got my Disney Drop box. Something they offered to people who bought a subscription before the service launched I think. You had to reply to their invite by submitting a form.

I got a box of Aladdin stuff like greeting cards, Jasmin slippers and a really nice lamp teapot.

Have you not encountered the story before? It’s one of Andersen’s horribly romanticized but utterly morbid tales (see also: the original ending of “The Little Mermaid”). Terry Pratchett lampooned the whole story beautifully in Hogfather.

I will add that if you want “pure weaponized sadness” in an animated classical music video, also check out Fantasia parody Allegro non Troppo - the “Valse Triste” section with the cat always makes me cry my eyes out.

Ditto, Come November is the renewal after that incredible 3 year deal.

I’m looking at some sort of Disney & Hulu bundle most likely.

I just grabbed Peacock with limited commercials for $20 for the whole year and even at that bargain price, it is barely worth it from what I’m finding.