Disposal of gasoline container?

I have a plastic 5-gallon jug that was used for gasoline by my late FIL that does not appear to be approved for such usage. I poured the gas into my van and now I want to dispose of the container, but I’m not sure what is the acceptable method. Although it no longer contains liquid gasoline it still have some fumes and I don’t think it should be thrown in the trash.

I live in Fairfax County, VA. Any ideas?

Username/post irony!! Heh.

Seriously, if it were me, I’d leave the thing standing open for a few days and then toss it in the trash. Even if you can still smell gas in it, the concentration is going to be far below what is possible to ignite.

Another vote for tossing it in the garbage. If you’re worried, take it to your city dump. I would bring it to the section where people drop of containers of used motor oil.

Empty all of the liquid, as you have done. Let it air out for a few days, as previously suggested by Q.E.D.. You can then toss it into the trash.

However, if the container has any labels or markings on it with the words, “GASOLINE,” you should line out the word with a sharpie or magic marker and write below the label the word, “EMPTY.” Do this everywhere the container has a label.

This is an approved method for indicating that containers being disposed of no longer contain hazardous waste. It will reassure any solid waste workers who might see a container labeled “GASOLINE” in the waste stream that they’re not looking at a potential hazard.

Craig’s list ‘free empty 5 gallon gas container will be left be the side of the road’ it will be gone in less then a day.

Me, I’d probably rinse it out (down the sink) rather than let the traces of gas evaporate, particularly during these summer smog days. I figure the smog and cancer risk contribution from the evaporation is worse than the ‘make the treatment plant slightly less efficient’ risk of rinsing down the drain.

This is assuming that it’s a one-shot deal; regularly putting water with traces of gasoline down the sewer is probably illegal (as is regularly letting quantities of gasoline evaporate).

It’s possible that it is a good container for gas - was your FIL into activities like off-road motocross riding, Jet-Skis or boating? A lot of those fun-loving folks use large white/clearish plastig jugs with roughly 18" long hoses to fuel their toys.

I wouldn’t wash it in the sink.
If it’s going to be rinsed, I would just do it outside on some gravel or something. (Remember, anything you pour gas on will die, and it’ll stay dead for a few years.)

It is illegal to pour any kind of petroleum product down the drain, especially if you are on a sewer system. If the can is empty, letting air out a few days will put fewer bad things in the air than when you put fuel in your car.

To the OP, what makes the jug is not legal for gas? Metal gas cans have been outlawed and the only kind you can buy now are plastic. They must be a minimum 3/16" thick and and be embossed with the word gasoline. I found out a few years ago the 6 metal 5 gallon GI cans I have are no longer legal to use for gasoline. They are considered a spark hazard now. I tried to give them away at a scrap metal drive and they wouldn’t take them. I did find they are legal for heating oil and have put them to use keeping the house warm in the winter.

No, he was into, er, cutting the grass. This jug is opaque green, about the shape of an antifreeze container, though larger, with a cap but no spout or hose.

Well, I’m not *sure * it’s illegal, but I do have a gas container that is marked GASOLINE and has other kinds of info and warnings embossed on it, with a spout and a filter. This thing is just a big ol’ container; the only markings are graduations for the amount of liquid. Which is not extremely helpful since the container is opaque.