Do actors have like a "buddy" system or what?

I’m going with a broader definition. I feel stunt casting can encompass any casting where the actor was chosen because of some reason beyond their ability to perform the part. When they were casting a new female role on Kevin Can Wait, they could have cast an equally well-known actress like Katey Sagal or Patricia Richardson or Courtney Thorne-Smith. But I think it’s obviously not a coincidence that they chose Remini. They picked her specifically because she had worked with James on a previous series. So I figure that qualifies as a stunt.

Granted he’s no Stan Lee. But he’s making a living.

like “regular” jobs as the saying goes , it’s not what you know , it’s who you know.

This is the same idea as a construction contractor hiring the same electricians over and over. There’s no reason to randomly hire someone else if you’re always particularly satisfied with the first person’s work. The contractor just wants the job to turn out right, and doesn’t owe anything to the rest of the electricians.

Creative types, regardless of anything, can be hard to work with productively.

And the attributes that causes one to become particularly famous are often related to being inordinately extroverted and bat-shit crazy.

So if you can find someone who is pleasant to work with, but also has a sufficient box-office draw that you can get the executives to buy in, then you would really be crazy to not try to continue to work with that person as much as possible.

Probably because of Kurt Sutter, but nearly everyone that was on ‘The Shield’ played some part in ‘Sons of Anarchy’.

Christopher Guest made 5 movies with the cast being 90% the same for all 5.

the chart here shows all the people he keeps working with

Christopher Guest - Wikipedia

I think there’s also a contractual component to it. I was just listening to a Matt Damon interview, and he talked about signing a 3-movie contract as part of getting Good Will Hunting made. So a production company might have a number of actors under such contacts, and they’ll all be in that company’s movies.

Tim Burton’s Secret Formula