Do any of the major Grocery Stores still bake their own Cakes/Cookies?

My ex-wife used to work in the bakery section for Wegmans. They decorate the cookies there, but the dough is from scratch. One day she was really bored and just started making flowers on the cookies.

They all sold immediately, but she was still told to stop since it didn’t come from corporate. That may just be that particular Weg’s. They also weren’t allowed to give the day old bread to the local soup kitchens.

Thanks kiz for the behind the scene info. :slight_smile:

Some of the cakes in the bakery are really good. I like the pudding cakes. We usually get Strawberry or lemon. They may not be scratch made, but they are tasty.

One of the two supermarket chains in this area is Price Chopper, based in Schenectady. I believe they either bake off-site and then bring the goods in or they do as described above where the frozen stuff is shipped and then baked in-house. For instance, there are locations that boil and bake bagels on-site, but I don’t know how they are made.

I do know that it’s started a bit of a fight around here with local bakeries versus Albany county due to local laws on trans-fats. I think that chains like Price Chopper were somehow automatically exempt from the ban as their products are made in a different county.

Costco makes its own cakes/cookies and bread. You can see them making them. Sometimes the bread package is still warm.

Mmm.

They can afford the overhead :slight_smile: Their proof-and-bake rolls, though – at least in the Costcos around my way – are frozen like mine. I carry some of them in my store.

I’ve run across similar in my travels. It depends on Corporate, really. For instance, at the chain where I started out, we weren’t allowed to get too fancy decorating custom cakes – no freehand drawing, no promising a particular shade of color, for example. Their reasoning? Anyone who knew how to decorate should be able to do a cake order. Not everybody could draw freehand. We could never promise that exact particular shade of color.

Another reason is production time. The larger chains – my current employer being one of them – all have to conform to a timetable. If that timetable says that you’re supposed to decorate X number of cookies in Y number of minutes, you’re going to do them as fast as you can. There’s no time for extra flourishes and whatnot. Like the restaurant business, the faster you accomplish X number of tasks, the more tasks you can do. The more tasks you can do, the less labor costs for the company.

As for the prohibition of donating…another Corporate thing. One chain where I worked didn’t allow it. Whatever we didn’t sell on the day-old rack was tossed into the dumpster. Other chains didn’t have day-old racks and donated everything.