do e-cigs smell (a poll)

This is what my boyfriend tells me. Even with the Chinese stuff.

USA-made liquid is available for ecigs. It’s a little more expensive, but a lot more delicious. I’ve got some “banana nut bread” right now that was made by Hoosier e-cigs. Very tasty and smells good until it dissipates (about 3 seconds IME). The smell, brief though it is, is weaker than *anything *a Glade plug-in puts out.

:dubious: I’m calling bullshit on that. I’ve been smoking the things for almost a year, and doing so in my car and house. My wife is particularly intolerant of smoking and has the nose of a blood hound and she has admitted that while she can faintly detect the smell while I’m smoking (in the car, say), it doesn’t linger and it’s not unpleasant.

From my own perspective you don’t get the nasty next day cigar breath and it doesn’t cling to your clothes for days afterward either…nor does it combine with your sweat to make you smell for days afterward. Which is why I’ve mostly given up on cigars these days.

Some of the flavors are definitely strange. A guy in the office was smoking some fruity concoction that definitely tasted awful to me, and you could smell it when he was smoking heavily on the thing…for about 10 seconds. Then it faded away and was gone. He smokes the thing constantly, but I’ve never smelled it on him, despite being in several close meetings and white board sessions. Contrast to one of the last actual smokers in our office, who I CAN smell the cigarettes on her all the time, even when she simply walks into a room. So, yeah…it’s absurd.

Personally I think this is one of those things that doesn’t have a clear-cut answer, it’s like asking if red wine tastes nice or if driving is safe - since the things are just vaporisers and it depends completely on what people decide to vaporise with them.

Personally I have never noticed any particular odour from my e-cigs apart from one polish person using some chinese contraption that smelt a bit like a concert smoke machine, but that thing was crazy hardcore (as in, blow smoke rings!) and still inoffensive, just noticeable.

However, if someone decided that the bestest thing in the world was cigar-trimmings marinated in the squeezings of skunk glands and loaded that into their e-cig, or perhaps decided to get double-duty from their dip cup…

I got some by accident in a bag of crackers from “Joe’s Oriental Grocery”. :rolleyes:
As we ate crackers, we threw little dried fishes to he dog.
But I digress.
I’ve used “Safe-Cig” before they folded their tent and left in the night, three or four that I did not like, and “Magic Mist”. I’ve not noticed any smell, but I agree that scented fluid would probably be noticeable.

The “tobacco” flavored ones smell, to me, like burnt caramel. Far, far less offensive than actual cigarettes and the smell dissipates much quicker than the smell of an actual cigarette or ashes or butts (few smells worse to me than an ashtray).

My only problem is that they are more socially acceptable and can be used more places that smokers who have switched to them wind up increasing their nicotine intake, but that may be an artifact of the unregulated nature of production of the liquid - that users “vape” more to get the same level of nicotine in their bloodstreams.

Unless you are super sensitive you can hardly notice any smell. A thousand times better than tobacco !

From the other e-cig thread in GD, thought I’d re-post something I read on CNN:

From CNN:

My wife has never smoked in her life, nor has she ever failed to note that cigarettes (whether being smoked by me, or somewhere on this continent) stink.

She says e-cigarettes don’t smell, even in a car with the windows rolled up.

oliviamia, please stop bumping old threads and find some stuff to post about other than e-cigarettes. However good your motives are, it’s repetitive and against the rules.