Do I have a valuable coin?

I found a rather strange quarter this evening. First off, it’s two-headed. Then, it’s two different years. And (IMO), it looks like one side has a “D” (Denver) stamp and the other a “P” (Philadelphia).

It’s got the typical quarter’s silver/copper/silver layering, a ridged rim. And the two George’s aren’t offset by 180[sup]o[/sup] like the normal head & tails, but more like 135[sup]o[/sup].

So, is this a major boo-boo made by one of the mints that mistakenly got out in public, or is it a novelty item that’s not really a quarter at all?

Two headed quarters

One site sells them for $7.49, with this description:

This web site sells them:

http://www.prankplace.com/quarter.htm

The Coin Site has answers to such questions.

So then where are all the coins with two tails???

With your missing socks having coffee with Elvis.

Ever shop at Big Lots?

Hmmm… that sounds a lot like what I got. Darn! I thought I was onto something.

The workmanship is quite good. I dont see the seam at all where they put the two halves back together. However, one side does have a slight circular indent right next to the rim, probably evidence of where they hammered it back together.

But isn’t defacing coins like this illegal? Or is it along the lines of those penny-squishing machines you see at tourist gift shops?

Only if done fraudulently:

Those two-headed coins are produced for prank purpuses, not to use them fraudulently, so it’s alright.

Ah, since whoever gave it to me as money didn’t do it on purpose (probably didn’t realize it was 2-headed), they’re not liable. (If it were their coin that they’d bought from that prank store, they wouldn’t’ve wanted to blow $7.49 just to give me $0.25 more tip.)

I actually see it as providence: I was at a Math Teachers’ conference earlier in the day, and went to a probability seminar. Afterward, I was thinking how to teach my class probability when it came up in the curriculum. Then behold! I get a 2-headed coin! Can’t wait until we teach estate planning and see what falls in my lap then. :slight_smile: