Do Little Girls Really Like Unicorns

<points at horn>

I think I can guess.

In wonder Does it have magic powers?

Pegasi is good. The cross-breeds can be *Pegacorns *or the rather uneuphonious Unisus.

Aside: A fantasy RPG I was involved in saw a rather dodgy trader attempting to get a high price for a Unicorn-Pegasus cross-breed that had unfortunately inherited neither the horns nor the wings of its parents… but he claimed those would come out in the next generation. :stuck_out_tongue:

Look! It vibrates!!

Yes, yes, yes - if I go by my daughter when she was young. There were some plastic unicorns - sort of My Little Pony but with unicorns - and we had a LOT of then.

squee!
:smiley:

Regarding the unicorn’s horn as a phallic symbol for the mini-puberty that 3 year olds go through (or at least I think it’s that age), I’m not sure whether to sagely nod my head in agreement or to shudder and flee in horror.

Mini-puberty? What is this?

It can’t simply be penis envy, can it? Although this would explain why my sisters hated me.

Ah, apparently some writers refer to the wonky postnatal hormone storm as “mini-puberty”. It happens during the first three months (not years) and is why we sometimes see menstrual like bleeding from baby girls’ vaginas and milk coming from infant nipples of either gender.

So no, Auto, I don’t think the unicorn horn has any appeal because of mini-puberty.

Unicorns are awesome. I’m damn near 30 and my favorite part of the Cloisters museum is the unicorn tapestries.

I was once a little girl, and I was all kinds of obsessed with horses, so unicorns got folded right in. I had one of those horsehead-on-a-stick toys: unicorn, rainbow mane.

I was the exception amongst little girls. I usually hate the whole anthropomorphic animals thing. The ones I did like were the very tomboy-ish ones - Master Splinter and Sonic the Hedgehog. To this day I still hate the magical horsey meme. I made it through Mercedes Lackey’s The Last Herald Mage trilogy by gritting my teeth.

My impression is that it used to be true, but is fading, or at least on a waning part of the cycle. My sister and mom both work with kids, and I used to.

Possibly the funniest scene in Dodgeball…

What a bizarre article. They talk about the tapestries from the Cluny in Paris but they have a photo of the Unicorn tapestry from the Cloisters in NYC.

BTW, don’t go see the ones in NYC if you love unicorns.

the tapestries tell a story, first the unicorn magically purifies the local drinking water. Then as a thank you the people of the local town hunt the unicorn down and kill it, and let the local royals eat the heart. Great fucking story.

Hmm, my four year old daughter has shown no interest at all in unicorns, pegasuses, or ninjas. I wonder what the hell is wrong with her.

The Irish Rovers had a hit with it, but Shel wrote it.

Yes, I liked unicorns as a girl. Not pink unicorns, I’ve always sort of loathed pink, especially “girly pink”, but certainly white ones.

I also liked Tonka trucks, too, so make of it what you will.

(Actually never got one of either as a child, though once adult I eventually did buy myself a bright shiny red pick up truck. Ford, not Tonka.)

I’m a bearded man, and I squeed when my video game’s buff warrior found a unicorn to ride around on. Obviously, I made him ride it naked.