Do Little Girls Really Like Unicorns

I loved unicorns when I was a little girl. I was always interested in horses, because horses are an animal that you can ride, which makes them pretty awesome. However, unicorns, being magical, are also telepathic, so it’s like a horse but you can talk to it. I spent a good deal of time writing letters to the unicorns, who live in Unicorn Land, in unicorn language (oddly the orthography looks a lot like scribble).

I would agree that between unicorn and pegasus (the Greek myths were wrong, you see - pegasus is actually a type of creature rather than an individual winged horse) the unicorn is the superior creature. Their horns allow them to do magic spells, which lets them battle the forces of darkness, although the pegasuses (pegasi? pegases?) are their allies. Those unicorns which also have wings are a hybrid of unicorn and pegasus called unicorn-pegasus, which should be pretty self explanatory.

hums along

When I was a little girl, and we’d go on road trips, my unicorn would run alongside the highway and only I could see her. She’d keep me company the whole way… Sometimes I imagined I was the unicorn too. I could run wherever I wanted to go and away from everything that hurt.

Update: I informed my daughter of this thread, and again asked her if she might want to give up her big bag o’childhood horses and maybe brighten the life of some poor little girl.

“NO. And only one of them is a unicorn, anyway.”

Me too. Some of them had rainbows on their flanks, even. I think I liked them because my friends did, really. I didn’t and still don’t like horses, so it wasn’t their being horse-like that was a draw.

That video is awesome. I’m not sure how to reconcile that with the unicorn part of Harry Potter, though. Maybe after the blood is oxidated it turns from rainbow-y to silvery?

I loved unicorns. My little sister was downright obsessed with them. My 7yo daughter loves unicorns too.

7yo wrote a story yesterday called “The Secret of the Flying Ninjas,” which involved her ability to change into a horse, unicorn, or dragon, and her secret identity as a flying ninja.

They are definately good in my household. Of course, my girls also like “My Little Pony” and I dare you to Bing that. Any cutesy horsey or related kinda thng, especially in pink or purple, is a hit.

A little girl in my neighborhood got a dachshund puppy. She was allowed to name the puppy. Its name is Unicorn.

I was a little girl who was not in to unicorns, but I was also not in to horses and I played with GI Joe. I did see the movie The Last Unicorn and I remember it being both the saddest and the scariest movie I’d seen to that point. Cripes!

Of course little girls love unicorns…They’re so fluffy! :smiley:

Not always.

There were a lot of strange creatures that lived in my childhood home. One was a crotchety old unicorn who lived in the basement behind the water heater. He was only dangerous in the dark, though, so you had to turn the light on really quickly when you wanted to go into that part of the basement. Suffice it to say, I did not collect unicorn figurines.

My four year old daughter, on the other hand, was a unicorn for Halloween last year.

Exactly.
And pegasi (pegasuses?) are better than unicorns. But either one is pretty damn cool.
And a pegasus with laser eyes would be even better.

What would Freud say about little girls obsession with Unicorns?

I loved unicorns. They thought I was smart and important and could take me away on wings that sprouted when they needed them. When in the company of unicorns, I wasn’t invisible in a two bedroom house with seven siblings and a mom that worked 2 jobs.

This explains a LOT of things I never understood about my daughters.
Thank you.

I had some unicorn crap (little knickknack things, not actual unicorn crap. Do they crap? Is it magical? Glittery maybe?) that people gave me. I liked to arrange said crap on my dresser in a persnickety way and muse about coming upon one in a forest and befriending him. Otherwise I didn’t really obsess.

I definitely preferred the “realistic” unicorns over absurdly impossible rainbow sparkle ones…which I considered tacky and for the naive.

Good god.

A long time ago, when the Earth was green
There was more kinds of animals than you’ve ever seen
They’d run around free while the Earth was being born
And the loveliest of all was the unicorn.

There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you’re born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn.

–Shel Silversteen, The Unicorn Song

My sister had over 50.

I liked unicorns when I was a little girl. I was REALLY into dinosaurs until I was about 10 and never collected unicorn stuff like I did dinosaur stuff, but I liked unicorns well enough. What’s not to like? They’re HORSES, but they’re MAGIC.

I hadn’t heard this episode before, but it sounded so funny I went and found it on their website. 293: A Little Bit of Knowledge. The moment in question comes during Act 1, at about 8:30.

I asked my daughter, age 9, her opinion on the subject, as she is very fond of horses in general. She likes unicorns, but prefers Pegasuses. (Pegasi?) This is what she had to say:

Was that an Irish Rovers song…first?

Unicorns are metal.

“The Unicorn Prince Approaches the Fire Centaur Clan (With a Gift of Smoldering Ash From the Crater of Mount Unimpous)”, by Deathmøle

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=664
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=667