Do Mac computers really never crash?

My IMac jams up sometimes. The messages read “A System Bomb occurred.” It’s hard to say how often. I notice the jamming most when I’m doing something important on it.

Ridiculing my statement doesn’t make it false, and since I wasn’t making a comparison, your “apples and oranges” is non sequitur. I was making a comment about the marketing spin used in this kind of argument.

This spin is pervasive in the industry. It involves trivializing problems in the current version until there is a replacement and then touting the new version as great because if fixes all those crippling bugs. Often, a company won’t even publically acknowledge a problem until they can say their shiny new version fixes it. Microsoft is guilty of some egregious instances of this, but the Mac users saying “of course OS9 crashed a lot, but OSX is perfectly stable” is no different. They’ve been saying that about every new version, and it has more to do with faith than fact.

Note: I am not making a judgement about Macs vs. Windows. I’ve already made my statement on that, and it’s anecdotal so it’s basically worth the pixels it’s made of (like most of the other stories posted here). My comment to which you responded was solely addressed at **istara **'s comment about OS9 vs. OSX, and I was not comparing the two but pointing out the fact that the same thing was said about OS9 vs. OS8 and so on back to the beginning. It’s a dodge used to justify subjective preference.

XP still has the graphics and part of the user interface in the kernel. Ever since Microsoft put the graphics driver in kernel mode in NT 4.0, (it was in the userland in 3.51 and before) it has stayed there.

OT, but I’ve wrote a large networked DOS system running for 11 years. I’ve had 4 service calls in that time, none requiring software changes. None of the problems were crashes, and none were due to DOS.

When was the last time you had a system running for 11 years with no OS crashes?

::sighing, remembering the days when you could understand what your machine was doing::

The ONLY OS I had that never crashed was BeOS 4.5.2 running on a x86 platform.

Ok,. I take that back. It locked on me once but that was only because I overclocked the AMD 350 to about 500Mhz. Windows wouldn’t even think of booting so I fired up the BeOS drive and gave it a shot. It ran for about 2 minutes and locked when I opened SETI.

Other then that the entire system never locked. Once in a blue moon a service would choke (like networking) but you could restart that on it’s own without rebooting the entire system.

I ran a BeOs fileserver for about 8 months straight and only rebooted it when I moved the machine or when our power went out (I lived in a coastal area with a bad power company).

All the other systems I’ve used (mac, windows and linux) have locked in one way or another which needed the entire system restarted to get the computer running again.