Do people in the USA think voting SHOULD be difficult?

Voting should be as easy as possible. It should also be simple. (No more complicated “butterfly” ballots!)

Everybody should vote. Yes, even stupid people, ignorant people, and nasty, horrible, bigoted people. God help us all if their candidates win, but they should vote. Democracy itself, as an ideal, has value.

I’ll stick with “doesn’t exist” for in-person voter impersonation. From here:

OK, so technically it should be virtually non-existent. Fucking sue me.

Oh my god, bribery exists. Let’s disenfranchise the poor and minorities.

A more famous case occured in the 1960 presidential election.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, let’s go back to the 1960s to solve a problem which doesn’t exist as anything but a fig leaf for the real reason.

So, who are you going to believe? Some guy on the Net or the Pennsylvania House Majority Leader who helped get it passed?

Here’s the problem. There are millions of people who don’t have government IDs, and which it’s not easy to get.

Show me where any of these voter ID laws provide for funding and staff to go to a persons home and take their picture and process their voter ID. Again, you are being deliberately obtuse and engaging in magical thinking.

All I ever take away from these voter ID threads is a sense that getting my drivers license renewed is much more difficult than it should be. :wink:

Last birthday my driver license was no longer eligible for extension, so I had to replace it, paying about $30 for the privilege. A non-driver ID card in my state is cheaper, but not by much. If I were too poor to drive a car that would be a high price to pay for something which is meant to be my right by birth or by naturalization.

There are four types of people

1. They believe voting should be easy and encouraged, even at the cost of security

2. They believe voting should be secure, even at the cost of ease or expense

3. They believe there should be some kind of barrier to voting to ensure votes are serious and well considered

4. They believe only the “right” sort of voters should be voting, and will pretend to be one of the other three in order to further their goals

I don’t object to voter ID ideologically, but I agree it has strong pragmatic problems that would have to be seriously addressed. And it’s obvious and unfortunate that many of the legislators who are proponents are creepily disingenuous. I certainly wouldn’t advocate starting a program without working out all the kinks first, and it’s ridiculous that people are trying to do it right before an election.

It’s really very simple. Republicans do better in elections with low turnouts. So they try to discourage people from voting, particularly poor people and minorities who usually vote for the Democrats. One way that do this is by pretending that there’s a problem with voter fraud that doesn’t exist. To “solve” this make-believe problem they make it harder to vote. It’s a profoundly cynical and unAmerican way to win elections, but it works because people buy into their lies.

I went to the elections office to ask what is needed to register to vote. The elections office asked for a copy of my passport to prove my eligibility to vote.

Is that so terrible?

I am not a citizen of the country where I live and made the inquiry.

Last time I checked, it cost something like $130 to get a passport. That’s an expensive piece of identification.

Bottom line: it ISN’T hard to vote. Perhaps there are ways it could be made easier, but getting registered to vote requires nothing more than filling out a postcard- one that can be found at almost any post office, library or other government-run building (or that can be mailed to you, if you call the local city or county clerk).

After that, you can vote if you show your voter registration card or any other form of ID.

It’s NOT hard. and frankly, gven how often most of us have to show ID during the course of an ordinary week, I can’t feel too sorry for anyone who thinks showing a driver’s license is an onerous, unfair burden.

Somehow we seem to get from “evil Republicans are trying to disenfranchise people by requiring a state ID card” to “evil Republicans are trying to disenfranchise people because they won’t send camera crews door-to-door”.

:shrugs:

Regards,
Shodan

FWIW, I don’t recall having to actually show my voter registration card the last time I voted; I’ve gone to the polling place without it and not been asked for it. My card is issued by the county election office. It gets mailed to me periodically (once a year? before every election? I’m not sure), and it tells me where to go to vote and what jurisdictions I’m entitled to vote in. It also has a form to fill out and mail in if I change my address, and it says that I have to re-register to vote if I change my name or move out of the county.

Even dead people? Are you from Chicago? :slight_smile:

It looks like Trinopus is an example of that kind of person. I suppose even those people would be upset if their candidate or party were to lose an election because of voter fraud—they just don’t believe that’s at all likely.

We do??

For many of us in the US, being able to drive is practically a necessity, so of course we have driver’s licenses, and so having to show ID for other things such as voting imposes very little additional burden. The issue is how difficult it is for other people, who don’t have driver’s licenses.

This is fairly common. Voter turnout has trended down over the last several decades, with a slight increase in the last presidential election, because of Obama. Voter turnout is actually lower for local elections, even though they are probably more impactful on individuals lives than the outcome of the national elections.

The rhetoric that get’s thrown around for this issue is generally political. An overwhelming high % of people that want to vote do and figure out how to do so.

Ok, so now you are just making sh*t up and attributing it to me. I respectfully request that you do not do that.

Cheers,
Icarus

Yeah, “we” do. I have to show my driver’s license to somebody or other 4 or 5 times a week.

And I’m a middle-aged white guy, so I can’t even claim discrimination.

I rarely have to show my license to anyone for any reason. I think I did a couple of weeks ago when I was making a big purchase with a credit card.

It seems to me the primary forms of fraud are:
[ol]
[li]Buying votes, i.e., paying voters to vote a particular way[/li][li]Putting nonce votes into the system[/li][/ol]

Neither of these is presented by requiring me to prove that I’m Hershele Ostropoler. Ensuring that my vote is cast by me does nothing to prevent that vote from being illegally influenced, nor does it stop the votes cast by nobody.

Just being able to show your registration card that gets mailed to your house every year does seem sufficient to me, for both sides of the debate. Is that an acceptable form of ID under these new laws?

Oh no. This isn’t true at all. It’s a very American way, as is discrimination. It’s just that people pretend that we’re better than other countries. We are in some ways and not others.

Oh, I guess that makes me an atheist who hates America now.

It depends… do you normally vote Democratic?