Do people talk about climate change in your day-to-day life?

My sister works for a climate change political advocacy group, so it definitely comes up in conversations with her.

All the time.

Then again, my wife is an environmental scientist…

Never. But then I don’t talk to a lot of people, and they all fall into one of three categories:

1. Co-workers, who talk about work.
  2. Family, who are all republicans so we avoid discussing anything political.
  3. A friend who I play board games with, who I don’t get serious with much.

Yes. At least once a week, with different people, not necessarily initiated by me.

All the time. How big should the new air conditioning system be? Climate changes means it should be bigger. How efficient should it be? The need to address climate change will drive up the cost of energy so more efficient.

My neighbor gave me some vegetarian peanut stew. She’s not a vegetarian but she and her husband eat lots of vegetarian meals. Why? Climate change, she tells me.

When I was shopping for my car, the only option I went for was the auto stop/start and more efficient engine. Why? To reduce my personal contribution to climate change. I should have gone with the hybrid.

Why is the weather where my parents live so screwy? Climate change. Will their great-grandkids see snowless winters in New England? Probably.

Is America losing its moral leadership? Yeah, in no small part because we aren’t addressing climate change.

It isn’t so much discussed as it is part of the backdrop of everything. I live in a highly-educated (i.e.liberal) part of the country so it is a given that everyone knows that climate change is here and now.

Very frequently. I used to be the doomsday guy 20 years ago telling people the climate apocalypse was coming. I had to cut back severely because people didn’t want to think about it too much. Now everyone talks about it all the time. It enters conversations about extreme weather, what kind of car to get, where are they going for vacation, where would they like to retire, will they have kids, what are they planting in their garden, etc.

If you think those are unrelated, I suggest you start paying a little more attention.

Apparently you didn’t read the OP, titled “Do people talk about climate change in your day-to-day life”.
The conversations I hear are about the crazy weather; no one talks about the gradual temperature increases since pre-industrial times.

Looks at wbgreen’s pic.

Are we relared?

This is why they stopped calling it global warming, see. Because the topic isn’t just about how humans are cranking up the temp; it’s about how when you crank up the temp it causes a whole pile of changes to the climate (aka a massive uptick in crazy weather).

The crazy weather is one of the many manifestations of climate change that can be observed. If you are talking about that, you are talking about climate change, even if you don’t use the magic word “climate.”

ETA: Just so I understand your position, do you recognize that climate change causes crazy weather, but you don’t consider that talking about climate change because the people you talk to don’t make that association? Or do you reject the notion that the crazy weather is a direct result of climate change?

There is a lot of tension this time of year in Northern California about wildfires, much worse than it ever used to be. Last year there were lots of people in SF wearing particulate facemasks because the air was so smoky, from fires 100 miles and more away. Not to mention more hot sunny days even here in cool gray SF than there ever used to be.

So yeah, it comes up.

Weather is a frequent topic of conversation here. It’s so oppressively hot, even now in October :smack:, that it may be blamed for strokes and faintings of the elderly. Rain is also an important topic, with some rooting for, some against.

A conversation about unseasonable weather may occasionally segue into mention of climate change. However right now mention of the hot weather is more likely to segue into mention of the delicious เห็ดโคน (Termitomyces fuliginosus) mushroom. They sell at ฿600/kg ($9/pound) or more in Bangkok, but villagers would rather eat them than sell them.

IIUC, these delicious mushrooms have never been cultivated by humans — they’re cultivated by termites and sprout only twice a year or so. Villagers can tell when they’re about to sprout by the weather! Starting last week, the hills are being combed for เห็ดโคน. Judging from prior years, we should get some in our orchard next week.

The increase in temperature in the last few years is hardly gradual. A 1 degree increase in temperature is not trivial. Warmer oceans provide more power to hurricanes, for instance.
Around here climate change is usually mentioned along with talk of crazy weather, since we get that they are related.

Rarely to the point where I can’t remember having one. There’s no debate in general that it happens and seeing as I’m from the UK the national obsession is our (pretty benign) weather rather than climate in general. Climate change is unlikely to be a major threat to life as gradual lifestlye changes should mitigate the effects so not really surprising that it doesn’t rank too highly.

Barring a disruption of the Gulf Stream.

Sure, that’s been the accepted thought, that It may get colder and snowier in winter but I think that’s something that lifestyles certainly can adapt to.

The impacts will go (and already are) a lot farther than that.

This is connecting a lot of dots without rigorous proof, so I won’t try to argue that this is absolutely correct. But it is reasonable to consider that the Syrian war crisis was triggered, or at least made worse, by water shortages caused in part by climate change. The resulting refugee crisis from that war was a major contributor to the rising nationalist sentiments in Europe, which have resulted in policies that are anti-immigrant and isolationist. So you can draw a line from climate change to Brexit, for example.

I know people want incontrovertible proof of cause and effect, but that’s not how climate change is going to work. These are the kinds of impacts we see first, and they’ll shape the next 100 years a lot more than rising sea levels.

Only to mock the fanatics and crazies.

That’s a theory, I was talking about how it would be possible to adapt to changes in climate in the UK.