Do racehorses appreciate that they are racing (against other horses)?

That wasn’t aimed at you specifically. Your comment was just the one that was still on-topic, and brought my question to mind. I probably know less than you do about horses. As a child, I had one try to kill me*, so I’ve pretty much avoided them since then.

*my grandmother had a big piece of land (about 50 acres), and had some horses. One was a pony that every one of the grandkids would saddle up and ride. After my cousin had taken a turn, I went and climbed in the saddle. The horse bucked, laid down, and started rolling over repeatedly. I jumped off before I was caught underneath.

I’ve seen large herds running in central Nevada. They were not threatened by anything, just running flat out. Might sort out the hierarchy or shed weaklings. There may be some reluctance to get too far up in the pack. The only wild horses I ever got close to were covered with scars from fights.

Except for river horses, of course.

He was not trying to kill you. He was just trying to get you off his back. Different. I used to ride a pony like that when I was a kid. What a little poop he was. He would rub you off on a tree, walk under a hitching bar, or lay down in a creek. He taught me a lot about anticipating and heading off trouble while riding, because he was always planning to cause it.

Horses can certainly be competitive with each other. They love to run, and the horses used in racing have been selected for that quality for centuries, and trained to do nothing else. It is effortless to turn a casual ride into a horse race, even with ordinary horses – just start going fast and don’t control it, and you’ll be in a race. My own ordinary horse has won impromptu trotting races (safer than a dead run) because she hates to see another horse ahead of her.

The fact that horses love to run, are easily excited, and have a competitive spirit is the reason racing is an ancient sport.

Well, maybe “tried to kill me” was a tad hyperbolic, but the intent was the same: get me off of his back with no concern for my personal safety.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld routine on horses. “Do the horses even know they are racing?”

The Alpha Dog/Wolf concept has been debunked as mostly a myth for both wild and tame canines.

Cheerfully withdrawn, with thanks for the correction.

Wolves and horses are similar in that they are social animals who live in groups. That’s about the end of it though. In a wolf pack, typically only one pair mates and the whole pack raises the cubs. This “alpha” pair is very often simply the parent pair and the rest of the pack consists of their adult children.

Horse herds have a complex hierarchy, in which one stallion protects a band of mares, with whom he breeds. He fights off other stallions, and drives away his male get when they reach puberty. Because of this feature, there are always bands of young stallions, as well as stallions with harems. The boss mare of the harem makes most of the other decisions, such as travel direction, when to rest, etc. She will be in the front of a band of moving horses while the stallion will be in the back, harrying stragglers and keeping a watchful eye out for predators and other stallions with covetous ideas.