Do sports agents practice law without a license?

IAAL but I don’t know the answer to this question. The June 30, 2006 edition of The Sporting News magazine (print edition only, apparently) has a big article about how to become a licensed NBA sports agent. Having a license to practice law, or to be a CPA, or a certified financial planner, isn’t a requirement, which leads me to the question: Why isn’t being a sports agent without a professional law license practicing law without a license?

My hunch is that it is practicing law without a license, but that is just my hunch. Does anybody have a good answer?

So your hunch is that every sports agent is practicing law without a license and nobody has ever noticed or said anything about it? Not even lawyers?

Remind me not to listen to your hunches when you go betting. :smiley:

You do not have to be a lawyer to negotiate a contract. Business people do this all the time. Agents of every stripe - literary agents, film agents, art agents - do this all the time. You and I can negotiate a binding contract.

We might run into trouble later when clauses are questioned if we don’t get the contract right because of our non-lawyer ignorance, but that’s a different issue.

As I understand it, practicing law means advising someone of their legal rights and/or obligations under the law. I’m not sure negotiating a sports contract involves providing legal advice. The deal is you play ball for X Jillion dollars, + y incentives, + z signing bonus. Now after the deal is made, I can see where questions of interpeting the contract could cross the line into law practice…