do the amish proselytize?

Do they?

No, they can’t work the doorbell.

I’m talking about stopping people on the street and sharing thier beliefs with them.

Not the Amish around here. They generally keep to themselves, and it’s not like they’re looking for recruits. I believe they would find it very strange if an “English” person wanted to join their church.

In my experience no. I don’t know any Amish person well, but my dealings with them are: They are usually very polite, but it seems that they have no interest at all in interacting with me, except to sell their goods and have me be on my way.

This applies to the Hutterites (another Anabaptist group that has colonies in the US and Canada, primarily in the upper Rockies and Plains) as well. While they’re more involved with their neighbors than I understand the Amish to be, they consider their religion and their style of life so closely intertwined that it would be next to impossible for someone not raised Hutterite to integrate into the community.

Yes, this. Proselytizing is just unheard of. I can imagine a conservative Mennonite boy converting to a Amish church to marry an Amish girl or something like that, but I’ve don’t know of a specific case. (There are a lot of different kinds of Amish, and individuals and families do change their “type,” given the right reason. In cases of someone from an Old Order church wanting to marry someone from a New Order church, someone changes orders. I think this is true for all the orders except the Swartzentruber group, who are even more insular than “regular” Amish.)

And since you brought up the Hutterites, I have a great story. My husband is a car salesman, and got a call from Alberta once about a specific truck on his lot with some kind of rare special equipment. After a couple of minutes on the phone, he said, “Excuse me for asking, but … are you a Hutterite?” After a pause, the man said, “How did you KNOW that?” It was pretty cool. :slight_smile: (He heard the accent, knew it wasn’t quite Amish, and and knew the area was right.)

That’s a pretty, shall we say generous, application of the word “great”.

As far as I know, the Amish get more “recruits” by having more kids.

Eh. I like it. Sorry.

So the Amish do not in particular practice the Great Commission? :confused:

The OP is a straightforward question with a factual answer, not a debate.

Off to GQ.

In that case, the Amish don’t seem to proselytize. Some conservative Mennonites do proselytize, and I once did encounter a group that wanted to convert me to the world of suspenders and long dresses. I didn’t go for it.

The Amish are slowly growing in numbers, and I believe that in fact their population is increasing faster (as a percentage) than the North American population as a whole. Very few people join them from outside, but they have large families. Only about 15% of young Amish adults will choose to leave the community during the period after they become adults when they are allowed to involve themselves with the outside community.

That is an interesting question. I have lived in 4 different states mostly in areas with Amish near by. I never remember any Amish doing outreach. Of course, I have seldom been plagued by the Jehovah witnesses either. Perhaps that is because I am nearly always away at church Sunday mornings, or elsewhere.

I really don’t think the Great Commission means trying to convert other Christians to your particular beliefs. Both in my Presbyterian years and now as a Friend, I keep reminding others in my church that we have a wealth of unchurched people to reach here. I also point out that if we had done what we were told to, we wouldn’t be having the problems with terrorists now.

Remember that early Anabaptists were brutally persecuted for their evangelism. The Amish have internalized the lesson that the outside world does not want to hear from them.

As I understand it, some Amish groups provide labor or financial support for charities that provide aid to poor countries, which they believe satisfies the Great Commission. Other groups reject all mission work as being too vulnerable to the sin of pride.

My understanding is that the Amish aren’t seeking converts. They will accept converts but not eagerly. They prefer to remain a distinct community.

Seconded, or thirded. No, they don’t proselytize.

A friend’s dad used to sell farm equipment in northeast Montana and he said you could tell the Hutterites because they were basically the only people who would pay cash. And the “special equipment” they might have been looking for might have actually been a lack thereof-- local car dealers would have to order in “Hutterite specials” because they wanted 4x4’s with the good engines, crew cabs and dually rear ends, but usually those trucks also came with all the flashy bells-n-whistles creature comforts which they definitely did not want. Since they were paying with cash and didn’t usually dicker too much, the dealers were happy to accommodate.

I thought that all questions that have to do with religion go to GD, like all questions that have to do with cooking go to CS. Is this not the case?

I’d think if it devolved into a debate as to whether the Amish have the one true faith, it’d be a little one-sided. :slight_smile: