Do the (Hey) "Mickey" lyrics contain an offer of anal sex?

It’s not nearly as blatant as Derek and the Dominos’ “Roll It Over”:

Roll it over
Let’s take it from behind
It’s only love
God knows it ain’t no crime

So what does that say about “Roll Over Beethoven”?

Count me as another who’ll maintain that just because a particular double entendre may not have been the intent of the writer, doesn’t mean that that particular double entendre can’t be delivered by the performer. In fact, being able to have the writer’s intent as “proof” that there’s nothing dirty going on can be used as a defense when being accused of having something dirty going on.

Yeah, she was older than typical for having a debut hit as a pop star- and she had been in the biz for a while.

In the 1968 film Head she choreographed this piece which she dances with Davy Jones, a great Harry Nilsson song- my favorite Davy Jones performance (I’m a Monkees fan, but Davy was never my favorite). Toni Basil is major super cute in this!

This may have influenced her casting in Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper worked on Head, Jack Nicholson co-wrote the screenplay) as well as her casting in Five Easy Pieces (directed by Bob Rafelson, who directed Head).

Also, many people don’t realize why Debbie Harry looks so old now, is that she was 34-35 when Heart of Glass hit.

I believe this should make everything clear.

(Warning: NSFW; also, music)

:eek:

I obviously need to drink more before that becomes clear.

For me this was funniest part of the video, that Toni tryied to look cute and waifish by dancing in front of oversized cheeleaders. I always wondered if the cheerleaders understood how they got the part.

FWIW, if Christgau is on crack, so am I (don’t; it would cheapen you). My impression at the time was the same. In fact, IIRC, at that point in the song, Basil pats her ass and gives the camera a “naughty” look.

“Hit Me With Your Best Shot” is about jizz in the face right?

That’s just being cruel. IIRC, the cheerleaders were from a local LA high school. Since when is anorexia a requirement for being a cheerleader?

Yeah- remember that this was over 20 years ago. Most cheerleaders probably looked like normal teenagers.

Toni Basil was a choreographer before she did this song. The moves at the beginning (during the music intro) are her take on little bits of old 60s dances, with some new wave-type moves thrown in.

Didn’t Toni Basil choreograph “Burning Down the House” by the Talking Heads?

Sorry. There is nothing wrong with the cheerleaders themselves. But this is a music video meant to highlight a 40-year old woman in a high school uniform. I don’t think the cheerleaders just happened to be so much bigger than her.

Well I went to a high school in LA almost 40 years ago and the cheerleaders looked just like normal teenage girls, nice and curvy. The cheerleaders in the Mickey video look more like the linebackers on our varsity football team.