Do they still make low power Ammo for vintage guns?

I stopped shooting my grandad’s single shot .22 rifle (from the 1920’s) because the shells would stick after just a few rounds. About 45 min later the shell would come out easily.

Then I had the same problem with a Ruger single action .22 revolver my dad bought in the late 1950’s.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Flickr_-~Steve_Z~-_Ruger_Single_Six.jpg

I took my grandad’s single shot .22 rifle to a gunsmith and he found nothing wrong. He said I needed low power shells for vintage guns. Modern ammo stresses them too much.

This was a couple decades ago and I never did track down any low power ammo. Do they still make it for a vintage .22?

I’d think that any standard velocity ammo would work. Stay away from anything labeled high velocity, CCI Stingers etc.

Aguila makes ammo that has no powder and is powered only by priming compound. In a rifle there’s a danger that the projectile might not make it out the barrel. Shouldn’t be an issue in a pistol.

I see CCI still sells a standard velocity .22 LRN. Muzzle velocity 1070, muzzle energy 102
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0032
Would this quiet load be even less powerful? Muzzle velocity 710, muzzle energy 45
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=960

I’d enjoy firing my dads Ruger again. He taught me to shoot with that pistol when I was 11.

These guys are on the ball. The Aguilla is here, and no, it won’t make it out of your rifle barrel!

I tried the other day with a 10/22 and had to get my cleaning rod to poke it on through!
Works fine in a pistol, though. My suppressed Ruger just makes a “click” with them.

I know how the memories come to you when you’ve got your Pop’s gun out & about!

If you can’t find the CCI quiet ammo, look for Remington Sub Sonic. I shoot it a lot in suppressed 22s. I’ve never seen the CCI quiet ammo in a store, but I’ll look a little closer nextvtime around.

Dumb question: Is the caliber .22 Long Rifle? A friend has a similarly-inherited single-shot and it’s only chambered for the .22 Long or .22 Short. I think that kind of thing is rare, however.

You can also try these, which are similar to the Quiet rounds that you posted, but they are .22 Longs, not .22LR.

I wondered about that.

Will a .22 long rifle fit in a chamber only meant for longs? It’s not marked on the pistol what shell it takes.

about the old models (prior to 1973). Pretty sure mine was from the early sixties. Long rifle was common then.
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Old_Model_Single-Six.htm

How can you have the same problem with a single action revolver as you have with a single shot rifle?
The extractor rod must become harder to push with the pistol from what I read into your post.
The Aguila Super Colibri will be excellent for the single action revolver but like already posted should not be fired in a long gun.
I see the packaging has changed for the Super Coribri, the ones I shot had a hummingbird on the packaging.

Remington still markets a low powered round under the name; CBee22 and that name is kind of a historical link to the early low powered rimfire round the CB-cap.
In my estimation this round is a .22 rimfire “Short” and that would very likely be the best round for shooting in your old heirloom rifle.
About the worst ammo for .22’s today is the bulk stuff with Remington being the worst IMHO.
I shoot a couple single action Ruger revolvers, with one being an old 3 screw and I have had no issues such as you are reporting with any ammo fortunately.

The Ruger single action is only marker; Cal. 22
The fluted cylinder is designed for ; Short, Long and Long Rifle.
The un-fluted cylinder if you have the “Convertible” (Extra conversion cylinder) is for the .22 WMR (Winchester Magnum rimfire) and that cylinder will also fire the round that preceded the WMR, the WRF cartridge (Winchester Rim Fire).

Hrm. I was thinking only of the rifle. Your Single Six cylinder could be for a .22 WMR instead of a .22 LR, which will cause problems as the WMR case diameter is 0.016" wider. Were any of the cases split or deformed after you pulled them from the cylinder?

As far as a .22 LR fitting in a .22 L (in the rifle), I honestly don’t know offhand. I’ll try and get a hold of my friend and have him check.

I think I’m barking up the wrong tree here, though.

Did some research on the ruger website. Serial num indicates it was made in 1958. Ruger says to call and confirm the date. They jump around some in their numbering.

I have the fluted cylinder. Should be a LR. I’ll double checked with Ruger when I check the serial.

Dad always taught me to never leave a round under the hammer. This revolver doesn’t have the modern safety bar. Leaving an empty chamber is deeply ingrained in my training. This was always a target gun anyway. Not personal defense.

I’ll get a box of low velocity ammo and give it a try. Check for any shell deformation and make sure its safe.

The 1920’s rifle I think will stay in my gun cabinet. It was old in 1977. Ancient now.

A long rifle round should not seat in a long or short chamber. In a revolver it should be the same. If it fits, you can shoot it. Shorts and longs can be fired in a long rifle chamber, but I’d not do it as excess lead and powder debris can build up and make it difficult to chamber long rifle rounds afterward. A through cleaning will remove the debris, but it’s a pain.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I haven’t seen this .22 Ruger, since I borrowed it summer 0f 78 for target plinking. Found it in a custom leather cowboy holster after he passed last August. Lots of sentimental value to me.

Actually all his guns are mine now. If we ever figure out where he stashed the guy to the gun cabinet.