Do TV stations have excusivity rights over stories?

Here in the Louisville, KY area, there was a recent item on the news about someone living in the rural part of the state. He’d sell sheep to anyone that came by, and let them use his land for the religious/ritualistic slaughter of the animal. However, he didn’t require them to clean up their messes, and he didn’t clean up, either. The story was on the hundreds of rotting sheep carcasses on his property.

When this story was first aired, though, the newscaster said “and now, a story you will ONLY see here on WLKY.” (emphasis mine)

The question I have is this: How can a newscaster ascertain that a news item will not be covered by another station?

Forgot to mention that this is just one incident of this happening many times. I only quoted one as an example. It happens on an-almost daily basis.

It’s exclusive to that station because they were the only who could stand the stench of rotting sheep.

If the newscaster does the story and 1) knows no other station is covering it, and 2) ascertains afterwards that the farmer didn’t talk to anyone else, they can promote it as being exclusive.

Maybe so. But the word “only” gets me, because the implication is that no other station will ever report it. If they do, then it’s not a story one would ONLY see on this station - just that they would see it there first.

There is a station here that constantly uses the phrase “And now for an exclusive report you will see only on [channel #].” The story is of course on all the other stations. It is just their report that is exclusive. Well duh. Expect “exclusive” sports scores next.

It is merely another sign of the transition from news to tabloid.

As a rule of thumb, “exclusive” means “no other station in this market thought of this yet.”

To the more practical issue, a TV station has ownership rights to its news coverage story similar to the rights a newspaper has in print.

No other station can use the video without permission/credit, no other station can take snippets of the interview and make it look like their own reporter is doing it, etc.

We had quite a dust-up in St. Louis a few years back when one station thought it had exclusive rights to take coverage of a sports event off satellite, and another station wound up showing clips (although not necessarily the same clips) of that event, from the same satellite service.