Do Vegans eat honey?

I knew it! :smiley:

Now, who played the fruitarian/vegan? I could swear it was either Emma or someone that looks 99% like her.

— G. Raven

Do these people write on paper, or clay slabs perhaps? What clothes do they wear? It cant be cotton. Wool? I doubt it.

One hundred percent polyester, my friend.

I haven’t read much else about the Breatharians but it doesn’t surprise me at all to find that they are associated with Boulder.

When I was in Colorado I heard that the breatharian movement was started by a guy named Wiley. His talent was discovered when the cops picked up him for aggravated nonpayment of parking tickets or something like that. They put him behind bars. I think it was over a long weekend so he couldn’t get a bail bondsman, and when they noticed, hey it’s been 3 days and this guy hasn’t eaten a single bite, they asked him why not. Then he out with it. He’s a “breatharian” and so a new word entered the English vocabulary. I glanced at his book once. I didn’t get exactly how you’re supposed to thrive with no food at all. But the funny part was recipes for food to eat while you’re on the way to perfecting your breatharianism. One was called “Rice ‘n’ Ice Cream.” Recipe: Take a bowl of rice and add a scoop of ice cream. :rolleyes:

I would normally write something really witty and biting at this point, but after eating a 48 oz steak (didn’t even touch the salad or potato) I’m ready for bed.

You’re right… sort of. It was Emma Bernard, not Emma Thompson.

I heard a vegan on a radio talk show, and he stated that vegans do not eat honey, cause it’s made for bees, not people. I couldn’t follow his logic, but I’m only a vegetarian.

Still hoping that “meli-vegan” is not a contradiction in terms . . . 'cause I’m one.

apparently everyone has a web site…
http://www.breatharian.com/

There are no “breatharians”. None.

Some lunatic claimed he was. That’s all. Now, that same moron is trying to make money off of it. C’mon, people, show a little skepticism here! Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. This is somebody claiming to live on NO FOOD, and y’all just accept this? :confused:

Prozac, MrNeutron? Would anyone else like any?

Also mentioned at the website:

Yeah, and L. Ron Hubbard wrote at least seven books about his life. In a web search she turned up mostly in passing, and mostly in pro-Breatharian propaganda. I stand beside MrNeutron in finding this a bit difficult to swallow, but what is the story behind this nun? Was the story popularized by her order?

I thought that plants had evolved big juicy fruit appendages because they “want” their seeds to be eaten. That way, the seeds are carried far and wide by animals and pooped out in new territories where the plant’s offspring can flourish. These people’s beliefs seem not only crazy, but both ignorant and crazy.

Why do these people believe that we’re supposed to be the only animal species that doesn’t kill other living things for its energy needs?

…The conversation turns to Emma’s eating habits, when she claims she cannot eat the carrots because they have been brutally murdered…
[/QUOTE]

And no one has mentioned “Carrot Juice is Murder” by the Arrogant Worms?

I’ve heard the screams of the vegetables (scream scream scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (Having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot Juice constitutes murder (and that’s a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables grow)
It’s time to stop all this gardening (it’s as dirty as hell)
Let’s call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade…)

I’ve heard that harvesting honey usually results in the deaths of at least a few bees.

I suspect that this is almost inevitable, as removal and replacement of the frames is bound to crush a few unfortunate insects that get in the way of the batten that supports the frame.

I suppose that it would be possible to design a hive that makes it easier to remove the honey with considerably less risk of killing the occasional bee, but you might tread on one while walking towards the hive, so where do you draw the line.

Anyway, my understanding is that Vegans don’t use any animal products, regardless of whether they cause death/suffering or not.

(Please don’t think I’m trying to pick fault with anyone here, regardless of what they do or don’t eat)

…Anyway, do these breatharians drink soup or milk or something then?

I think the idea was more along the lines of ‘how can a wheat seed fulfil it’s natural purpose if we grind it into flour?’

It could, of course, be argued that the wheat plant’s purpose is to deliberately produce nutritious seeds as part of a strategy to make sure that mankind will never let the species die out (not my idea, you understand).

More about breatharians at the Skeptics Dictionary:

http://www.skepdic.com/inedia.html

I visited the Bretharians website and found that you can join them at a weekend seminar:

MEALS???

Consisting of what exactly?

This is necessary.
This is necessary.
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on

The song opens with a comparison of harvest day to the holocaust. “These are the cries of the carrots.” He was being sarcastic, I’m sure, but perhaps he had heard of some of these folks as well.

I knew a vegan once (he’s come around to being omnivorous again). He lived of Soft Batch cookies and yoohoo (I think) for a long time.

However, I would think that honey is not the best thing in the world since the bees must be gassed and all to obtain it.