Do you believe Batman defeated Superman in single hand-to-hand combat? (Spoilers!)

IMHO, that just takes it from the specific to the general. Why did he need to throw the fight at all? Answering that question in a larger sense explains why he slumped to the ground when that sniper had lined up a kill shot: something like that sniper was going to come into play at some point; as it happens, it was the sniper, right then.

Take away the sniper (and the other soldiers) and Green Arrow (and Robin, in the souped-up Batmobile) and it plays out like Miller wrote earlier in DKR: Superman demonstrates that he could kill the guy half-a-dozen times from telescopic range, burning a fiery letter into the ground at Bruce’s feet before Bruce can do anything – and then doing it again, and again, and again and again and again, at which point Bruce (a) still can’t see him way the heck up there, but (b) can start planning for the fight he’s going to throw.

Thanks, that explains a lot.

So someone shoots an arrow full of Kryptonite, Superman pauses to fapp for a spell, and Batman gets in a couple good hits before taking a dive.

If I’m reading it right, then anyone with access to Kryptonite could claim to have defeated Superman under certain circumstances. I thought the whole B’man beat S’man thing was about B’man’s badassery. I don’t know. How many plot-lines over time have had Superman up against the Kryptonite ropes? Do they all count as defeats? I don’t get it. I don’t get it especially as B’man tapped out … even if he totally kicked Super the man square in the nuts, he wasn’t the last man standing.

Let’s see…the fight is basically “a rich kid with issues” v. a god. Superman’s powers and invulnerability are such in that continuity that there is no other description of him that fits. The fight actually reminds me of some of the stories from Ancient Greek mythology. Batman is a hero more in the mold of Odysseus than Hercules. He overcomes his enemies through a combination of cunning, deceit, and physical prowess.
Another way of looking at it is this: Mike Tyson at his peak is going to fight a four year old child. The child wins by first having another toddler throw household ammonia in Tyson’s eyes and then beating him with a baseball bat. Did the child “cheat?”